Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em

Old 12-14-2005, 02:35 PM

Default .50/1$ limit on party

I have been playing on the .50/1$ tables on party, I have recently moved to these from the 10 no limit games.
These tables have terrible players on it, but the problem is that there are so many people who suck out. It is very hard to play a hand when after you raise for example you have 5 or 6 people trying to suck out on you... I have moved up the ladder and am playing in some higher limit games just because there are better players and I find it easier to make some money on these tables.

[img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]Looking for any advice on these smaller limit tables where there are always to many people in hands regardless of raises/pot odds etc. Should i just stick to the 2/4 $ 3/6$ tables or can someone let me know their ideas thoughts on these tables???
Old 12-14-2005, 02:39 PM

Default Re: .50/1$ limit on party

[ QUOTE ]
I have been playing on the .50/1$ tables on party, I have recently moved to these from the 10 no limit games.
These tables have terrible players on it, but the problem is that there are so many people who suck out. It is very hard to play a hand when after you raise for example you have 5 or 6 people trying to suck out on you... I have moved up the ladder and am playing in some higher limit games just because there are better players and I find it easier to make some money on these tables.

[img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]Looking for any advice on these smaller limit tables where there are always to many people in hands regardless of raises/pot odds etc. Should i just stick to the 2/4 $ 3/6$ tables or can someone let me know their ideas thoughts on these tables???

[/ QUOTE ]
basically i would move to 2/4 so they respect your raises.
Old 12-14-2005, 02:40 PM

You need to read and understand Small Stakes Hold’em by Ed Miller. This book addresses how to beat loose games.

Please note that games with loose passive players are the easiest games to beat, and not games with “better” players.
Old 12-14-2005, 02:46 PM

That is exactly how i feel. No one respects a raise and it is difficult to gauge where you are when for example you raise with top pair and have 4 or 5 callers behind you.

I understand what shark6 is saying and i thought that this game should be easy to beat for a player like myself. Not saying i am great but, definatley not as bad as these donks on these tables.

Any other advice is appreciated.
Old 12-14-2005, 02:51 PM

I see this thread getting locked real soon.
Old 12-14-2005, 02:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i thought that this game should be easy to beat for a player like myself. Not saying i am great but, definatley not as bad as these donks on these tables.

[/ QUOTE ]
REALITY CHECK.

In only the two posts you've made in this thread I can guarantee you with 99.9% accuraccy that you're not even CLOSE to being as good of a poker player as you think you are.

This is not a rip - please don't be offended.

We've seen this post a zillion times in this forum. If you don't understand why people "sucking out" on you is a good thing you've got a lot to learn. If you think that moving from a limit with donkish players that you currently can't beat to a limit with better players and higher stakes is the way to beat the game - again, you have a lot to learn.

The .5/1 is VERY beatable - even with the suckouts. You're coming from a no-limit game backgroun where it was correct to play a certain way. Those strategies which you adopted to beat that game are not going to beat low, limit-poker donkfests. You're going to need to adjust your strategy and thinking to beat this game.

Books (that have already been suggested) and this forum (or micro-limits which would be more appropriate for your playing level and the stakes your playing at) are great places to start working on your game.

Good Luck!

Crunch
Old 12-14-2005, 02:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That is exactly how i feel. No one respects a raise and it is difficult to gauge where you are when for example you raise with top pair and have 4 or 5 callers behind you.

I understand what shark6 is saying and i thought that this game should be easy to beat for a player like myself. Not saying i am great but, definatley not as bad as these donks on these tables.

Any other advice is appreciated.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, it can be incredibly frustrating when these guys don't respect your raises and suck out on you, but aren't these very similar to the live tables people are always complaining about, i.e., tables full of fish? You bleed money for a while, and then finally take down a huuuge pot. These are exactly the sort of players we're all searching for. Plus, you should work more on protecting your vulnerable hands, e.g., check raising the flop under the right conditions or waiting for the turn to raise. This is an area I'm trying to improve.
Old 12-14-2005, 03:04 PM

While bonus whoring, I spent alot of time at the .50/$1 tables at party. I played extremely tight, and made money...slowly. It was however a extremely boring experience (I was playing between 3-6% of hands dealt to me). As my bankroll increased, I moved up to 2/4, 3/6 then 5/10. Playing 5/10 was beyond the reach of my bankroll, and I had the worst down swing of my life.

I then started whoring again at .50/1 and 1/2 on party (and other places)

What was interesting is that my stats mimiced my stats that had made me so much money on 2/4, but at .50/1 and 1/2 I was losing money, consistantly. People did not respect my raises (I guess $1 isn't alot of money to them). In addition, it was hard to simply call a hand and win if you didnt have the nuts. You'd have a medicore hand like JKo and call, there would be 9 others in the hand. If an A or K comes up, most like SOMEONE has that and another card on the table. It was an awful experience.

Long story short, I go back to 2/4 and have been playing consistantly good poker and winning consitantly since.

Here are the morals from the story:

1) Don't exceed your bankroll's capacity. If you're at .50/1 you need $300 br. 300bb is the rule (although I've done well at 2/4 with a BR of $500 without problem).

2) Play at a level you enjoy. I can't play .50/$1 any more, the players don't know what they are doing and I seem unable to make money.

3) A complete poker player can play at many levels well. If your br dictates you play .50/1, don't move up levels cause you arn't winning, or keep getting drawn out. Moving up because it's "easier to win" or "easier to predict others" at the upper levels doesn't make you good. Poker is like a video game, finish level one before you move on to two: level one gives you the skills needed for two.

Sorry for the long post...hope it's insightful!
Old 12-14-2005, 03:24 PM

Thanks for the comment. I think that you are correct in what you are saying.
Old 12-14-2005, 06:12 PM

It's really [censored] frustrating sometimes, so I understand where your misguided ideas are coming from. Lost $240 at the $1/2 tables tonight through the most amazing run of totally awesome suckouts, coupled with set over set action, etc... I knew this amazing run wouldn't continue but DAMN it's been the worst night I've ever had.

I'll make it all back and more by the weekend of course [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]