Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-10-2005, 03:15 PM

Default Re: standard?

Gotta stick in a bet/raise somewhere after turn imo, I think folding to strength after you make your bet/raise is better than passively calling down.
Old 12-10-2005, 04:16 PM

"I have to admit, Tommy, some of your limit stories did come to mind as I was playing this hand."

Full circle then. It was from playing tons of NL that that aspect of my limit game got that way.
Old 12-10-2005, 06:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
TT out of position is a hand that doesn't want to play a big pot unless it hits a set.

The way to do that is to limp preflop, or limp/call a raise and play poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your logic is off. You lose value by not raising your 10s preflop - gap theory dictates that people WILL fold to your raise. The hand becomes MUCH easier to play if you make a preflop raise and then take a standard line. On the flop/turn, that's when you play poker. Limping and calling a raise is weak/passive. What do you do then on a favorable flop of undercards? Check/raise OOP? Lead and fold to a big raise? Action is much easier, you will win more pots, and most importantly, you will be able to make easier decisions when you are the aggressor.

As played, I really like your line. Such a weird hand - while I was reading it it actually did occur to me that it would be so much easier played if it were limit poker.
Old 12-10-2005, 08:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
TT out of position is a hand that doesn't want to play a big pot unless it hits a set.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your logic is off. You lose value by not raising your 10s preflop - gap theory dictates that people WILL fold to your raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Gap theory is best used for tourneys. In tourneys, you raise in order to take blinds and antes, and you are happy if everyone folds.

You raise in a ring game in order to get money in with position and a strong hand, or to make a move at a lot of dead money in a pot. TT is a decent hand but UTG is a crappy spot to play it in, so I'm limping.

[ QUOTE ]
The hand becomes MUCH easier to play if you make a preflop raise and then take a standard line.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really. I still have an underfull against someone who's playing very oddly.

[ QUOTE ]
On the flop/turn, that's when you play poker. Limping and calling a raise is weak/passive. What do you do then on a favorable flop of undercards? Check/raise OOP? Lead and fold to a big raise?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you will find about zero percent support on this forum for a limp/reraise of a tight/passive player with TT.

As for what happens when I limp/call and get an undercard flop, I sometimes lead, sometimes check/raise, sometimes check/call, sometimes check/fold. It depends on the opponent.

[ QUOTE ]
Action is much easier, you will win more pots, and most importantly, you will be able to make easier decisions when you are the aggressor.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not with TT. That hand leads to a lot of hard decisions, and I just don't want to play a big pot with it out of position if I can help it.

[ QUOTE ]
As played, I really like your line. Such a weird hand - while I was reading it it actually did occur to me that it would be so much easier played if it were limit poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

No doubt.
Old 12-11-2005, 02:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Your logic is off. You lose value by not raising your 10s preflop - gap theory dictates that people WILL fold to your raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Gap theory is best used for tourneys. In tourneys, you raise in order to take blinds and antes, and you are happy if everyone folds.

You raise in a ring game in order to get money in with position and a strong hand, or to make a move at a lot of dead money in a pot. TT is a decent hand but UTG is a crappy spot to play it in, so I'm limping.

[ QUOTE ]
The hand becomes MUCH easier to play if you make a preflop raise and then take a standard line.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really. I still have an underfull against someone who's playing very oddly.

[ QUOTE ]
On the flop/turn, that's when you play poker. Limping and calling a raise is weak/passive. What do you do then on a favorable flop of undercards? Check/raise OOP? Lead and fold to a big raise?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you will find about zero percent support on this forum for a limp/reraise of a tight/passive player with TT.

As for what happens when I limp/call and get an undercard flop, I sometimes lead, sometimes check/raise, sometimes check/call, sometimes check/fold. It depends on the opponent.

[ QUOTE ]
Action is much easier, you will win more pots, and most importantly, you will be able to make easier decisions when you are the aggressor.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not with TT. That hand leads to a lot of hard decisions, and I just don't want to play a big pot with it out of position if I can help it.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No doubt.

[/ QUOTE ]

I may not agree fully, but point made.

Touche, my friend. Touche.
Old 12-11-2005, 05:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I might have played it like you did against certain players at certain times.

Will HE call YOUR raise if he has three queens?

Will HE call YOUR raise if he has a straight?

If you thought the answers to those questions were no, then you played it best possible.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree; if the answer is no he playede it fine... but; if he wont call a reraise with those hands you should be calling on the flop w/ any two. Most people call a very high % of the time w/ any Q on the river... let alone a straight (assuming a non-huge c/r). Rivr chk/call is gross; if your that nervous at least lead/call.

BTW negate all the above if for some reason you would call the river w/ 33 (i.e. you think he is on a complete bluff... but if he isnt he has the nuts). However i dont believe there is anyone whom i wouldnt raise this river against (and ive played lots of nits).
Old 12-11-2005, 05:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
maybe i've been playing 6max too much lately but i raise TT everytime from every position. if you won't raise TT there, when you DO raise utg, your opponents can narrow your range to, what, 5 hands tops?

btw, limp-calling preflop and flopping a set is not the way to win big pots. when a limp-caller gives a ton of action postflop it screams set.
Old 12-11-2005, 05:53 AM

people dont like to fold overpairs

most people dont really have much trouble getting sets paid off if theyre up against top pair??

the only way you make more with your sets with a crazy lag style is if people are constantly making plays at you, and this would seem to subvert the advantage of a lag style, plus causing intense migraines
Old 12-11-2005, 06:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
people dont like to fold overpairs

most people dont really have much trouble getting sets paid off if theyre up against top pair??

the only way you make more with your sets with a crazy lag style is if people are constantly making plays at you, and this would seem to subvert the advantage of a lag style, plus causing intense migraines

[/ QUOTE ]

I take more excedrin then any human
Old 12-11-2005, 06:27 AM

I find another bet in their somewhere. I see you dont want to get up against the KQ a weak nut peddler might have, but you gotta play a bigger pot here. He's prob got slick or AQ anyway. Prob AQ trying to suck you in with his gay bet.

Anyway, I would either c/r turn or just bet out turn.