Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2005, 09:36 PM

Default What\'s your typical pre-flop line with AK facing a min-raise behind?

Context, if it matters much: Party large-field MTT, $11 - $55 buyin range.

You're halfway through the ~2000 person field and are sitting about double average chips with ~T3000.

You're in EP with AKo and make a standard 3x BB raise to T150.

You're min-raised behind to T300. The min-raiser has you covered by a few hundred chips. You have no reads, he just jumped to your table.

No callers, back to you. T525 in the pot, T150 to call.

What's your standard line? Call and play your standard post-flop OOP with AKo, or raise now to try to better define your hand?

I feel this is an area I can improve, and am curious to hear some thoughts from the forum...
Old 12-06-2005, 09:39 PM

Default Re: What\'s your typical pre-flop line with AK facing a min-raise behin

I call looking for an A or K, but would like to know what better posters have to say.
Old 12-06-2005, 10:23 PM

Default Re: What\'s your typical pre-flop line with AK facing a min-raise behind?

I reraise. Too many people will come in and the big blind gets good odds.
Old 12-06-2005, 11:00 PM

Default Re: What\'s your typical pre-flop line with AK facing a min-raise behind?

As with everything in this game, this is read dependant. I'd give special consideration to what the Villain has minraised before, and whether he makes this kind of play often.

I thought I understood, from a more mathematical standpoint, that you're getting 3.5 to 1 to call, and you'r e probably not a 3.5 to 1 dog against his range, so you should look at a flop.

For me, the problem with reraising is, if you repop to 900-1000 and the villain pushes, do you call or fold? I think if you're going to call a push, you might as well push yourself. Besides any sizable reraise is going to commit 1/3 of your stack.

I'm taking a flop. There are only a couple of hands I really need to fear, and I will trust my post flop play to keep me out of trouble.
Old 12-06-2005, 11:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
For me, the problem with reraising is, if you repop to 900-1000 and the villain pushes, do you call or fold? I think if you're going to call a push, you might as well push yourself. Besides any sizable reraise is going to commit 1/3 of your stack.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the crux of the question, in my opinion, and I was really eager to see if we could get any of the forum heavyweights to weight in with their standard no-reads line.

Options as I see it are to call and play postflop or to push. Re-raising to 1000 and then folding to a push for 2k more seems really bad, unless you're absolutely sure you're up against AA or KK when they push (which I don't think you can be that sure, baring a specific read on the player as an uberrock).
Old 12-06-2005, 11:10 PM

This is not a minraise. A minraise is doubling the RAISE that you made, not what you made it to. A minraise in this case would be to 250. You made it from 50 to 150, he made it 150 more to 300. Big difference. People will minraise just randomly with pairs or big suited cards. People will make this sort of raise with almost always a very big pair. I would expect JJ+, probably QQ+. I would call and fold a non-ace, non-king flop. If an ace flops you're probably good, if a king flops I would let him bet. If he overbets the pot or makes a big bet he likely has AA.

Just some fishy tendencies I've seen.
Old 12-06-2005, 11:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is not a minraise. A minraise is doubling the RAISE that you made, not what you made it to. A minraise in this case would be to 250. You made it from 50 to 150, he made it 150 more to 300. Big difference. People will minraise just randomly with pairs or big suited cards. People will make this sort of raise with almost always a very big pair. I would expect JJ+, probably QQ+. I would call and fold a non-ace, non-king flop. If an ace flops you're probably good, if a king flops I would let him bet. If he overbets the pot or makes a big bet he likely has AA.

Just some fishy tendencies I've seen.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. I think jedinite was pretty clear about what he meant (even if the terms were off) and I read the raise the way you did. I think we're in a certain amount of jeopardy here. On the other hand, this isn't always AA and KK. I think your range of JJ+ is accurate, and very occassionally it will be someone representing a big pair.
Old 12-07-2005, 01:08 PM

I agree, without any reads I tend to put my opponent on JJ+, AK. Maybe AQ as well.

That being said, would still like some feedback on the line various players take here.

I called this a minraise, because IIRC thats the minimum available raise (or maybe just the default raise amount) via Party's interface, where the game in question was played. Whichever, its the "i pushed the button to double your raise" amount.
Old 12-07-2005, 01:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
he overbets the pot or makes a big bet he likely has AA.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, you have very good reads. By just calling his min-raise you don't look like having a real big hands (QQ+ or AK) so when a K hits not an Ace and he has 10s, JJ or QQ, he may give it a try and check fold if you call/raise. Are you saying that if the flop is K23r, and he bets 1500 you fold?

There's 2 options : Call or Push, not a re-raise. If you call, you will have to check fold any non-A or non-K fold. You could also bet 1/2 to 2/3 the pot if you miss to see what he is doing. If you hit your Ace, I would check call, lead the turn and if I hit the K, I would check raise or check/call and lead the turn again.

I am not one of the top players, but this is what I would do.
Old 12-07-2005, 01:57 PM

Not looking to go crazy with AK this early, I would call and play some post flop poker. If you miss you miss, it's just one hand out of many.