Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2005, 08:58 AM

Default Re: Theories on Stars rebuy MTT\'s

[ QUOTE ]
http://archiveserver.twoplustwo.com/...?Number=494565
http://archiveserver.twoplustwo.com/...Number=1046600
http://archiveserver.twoplustwo.com/...?Number=737308

[/ QUOTE ]

We should get these FAQ'd. It seems like we discuss rebuy strategy once a week. Just put both sides of the argument in the FAQ and maybe have the "content-filled poster" crew weigh in on either side in there. Let Lloyd choose seven or nine (like a court). One response from each- done. This way, we'll have somewhere to redirect this next week.

(On another note, check out Chief 911 at 36 posts in the third link. It is comforting to know we all step through the same progression on the learning curve if we work at it.)
Old 12-06-2005, 12:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My favorite scenario is when someone is holding on to his initial buyin so tight, like a pillow to keep him in his ignorance, gets aces and finally decides to play. Since he is so short I decide to call and win with k4. He then says moron, and I agree.

[/ QUOTE ]Assuming the player at least rebuys when he's allowed to you're calling a minimum of 15 BBs with K4. Unless you were the OR trying to take the blinds down on a bluff (and why on earth you would do that in the first hour of a rebuy beats me) and then calls a small all-in re-raise from the tight player this makes absolutely no sense.

If you are a strong big-stack player it's probably +EV to splash the table during the re-buy period, increasing your chance of building a big stack and dominating the tournament from the get-go.

I am not effective with a big stack (it takes good reading ability and a certain kind of guts), and most of the time I manage to build a big stack early on it's either gone within an hour or I fail to increase it and get caught up by the average way before the money. A wild re-buy strategy would clearly leave me with a negative ROI.

Still I'm pretty happy to play (and make a decent profit from) the $3 and $5 re-buys on Stars. I play a comfortable TAG style, not afraid to get my chips in with prime holdings, but certainly not splashing them away with marginal to poor hands. I rarely need to make more than one extra double re-buy, and frequently get away with just the initial re-buy and the add-on.

The trick is that the general level of play is so poor, that I rarely fail to increase my stack (way) above average in the hour following the end of the re-buy period, simply by playing a TAG game.

Most of the players that build good sized stacks during the re-buy period are incapable of adjusting to the deep-stack non-re-buy part of the tournament, calling big raises and even all-ins with marginal holdings.

Additionally players who failed to build a big stack are generally unaware of the "M" concept, panics when their stack dwindles below 50% of the average stack, even if they still have plenty of play sitting on 20 - 30 x the big blind, and are basically throwing the chips away in (completely unnecessary) desperation.

Best,

McMelchior (Johan)
Old 12-06-2005, 05:19 PM

depends on how i feel. no matter the buyin i take the initial rebuy. in a 11r ill shove every hand for hte first hour sometimes until i get to 10kish, then ill slow down. in a 22r ill slow down a LITTLE bit cuz i dont get as much action. 55r ill pretty much just limp every hand and outplay ppl post flop. im never folding an oesd or a flush draw though. good double up spots. i do the same thing with the 109r. just depends on what yer comfortable iwth. obv the high risk style is gonna get you the most chips. holla