Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-03-2005, 10:47 PM

Default KKxx in $5 PLO

PokerStars (9 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Blinds are 15/30, all raises are pot sized

Preflop: Hero is UTG with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of 15.
Hero calls, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, CO folds, Button calls, Hero ???

Neither of these players has done anything egregious; I am very concerned UTG+1 has AAxx. Given that, what's the correct play?

-D
Old 12-03-2005, 10:52 PM

Default Re: KKxx in $5 PLO

why'd you limp?

but thats a crappy spot to be in, you're not going to like any flop w/o a K. I dunno. I'm going to say to fold, but i suck. What's your staack gonna look like if you fold?
Old 12-03-2005, 10:56 PM

I think its an easy fold. You have no other outs save the K high flush draw.

The Limp RR screams AAxx
Old 12-03-2005, 10:58 PM

i don't really claim to know much about PLO, although I'm in the same tournament now.

but generally, you don't want to play multi-way pots with big pairs because they don't play well there. i would have potted it pre-flop IF i was going to play the hand. i also might would have mucked it, as i like to play big drawing hands in PLO, especially early. later on, when the blinds get significant, you might could pot it and try to get heads-up against someone or steal the blinds. these are situations where big pairs play well in this game.

for how the hand played out though, i'd probaby muck it and just lose the t30 and move on to the next hand.
Old 12-03-2005, 11:04 PM

I'll have about 1200 if I fold.

I'll answer the first question in a bit. I'm at least as crappy as you are at PLO, though-I'll say that much.
Old 12-03-2005, 11:36 PM

Ok. I limped in up front hoping to be able to put in a reraise, as if I had AAxx- really thinking that AAxx and KKxx played about the same way. Also thinking about Berman's bit in SS2 about not raising from up front. Then after UTG+1 limped with that enormous pause, I got edgy. When the button raised, I thought of reraising as planned, but I thought UTG+1 would come over the top if he had AAxx. So I just called, UTG+1 came over the top. Button smooth called and I couldn't figure out how I was going to win without a K on the flop, because one or the both of them had AAxx. So I folded.

UTG+1 had AAxx. Button had QQxx.

I think if I raised first in, AAxx reraises, button coldcalls, then I have a decision, because neither player has shown as much aggression.
Old 12-04-2005, 12:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
why'd you limp?

but thats a crappy spot to be in, you're not going to like any flop w/o a K. I dunno. I'm going to say to fold, but i suck. What's your staack gonna look like if you fold?

[/ QUOTE ]

KK94 single suited is not all that strong in PLO. Also, you don't usually open raise UTG. You usually raise in late position.

I am not sure I am crazy about playing this hand for a limpraise either. What do you do if someone puts in a 3rd raise, which could easily be AAxx? Plus this hand doesn't play all that great with deep money.

I would limp and call a single raise. I don't think you can call 2 raises. Plus there is another player who could behind you.

KKxx looks nice, but you have no connectors and you are out of position. Plus when there is a lot of action, you have worry about AAxx.

With shallow money, I would jam with this hand, preflop and postflop.