Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 12-25-2005, 11:31 PM

Default 2 Xmas presents - flopped flushes - line check

Presents from Santa. Did I screw up at any point.

As background, I'm taking a shot at $1BB poker. I have been doing well at $0.50BB. I'm playing kind of short stacked to get used to it. Comments on any streets would be welcome. I'll post results later.

Hand 1 no reads. This is my 4th hand at the table. Was I too passive? Maybe scared of all those funny colored chips?

Hand 1

hero $47.50
MP1 has me covered

SB posts small blind $0.50.
BB posts big blind $1.00.
UTG+2 posts big blind $1.00.
Dealt to hero A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
1 fold, UTG+1 calls $1.00, 1 check, MP1 calls, 1 fold, hero calls, 1 fold, SB calls $0.50, BB checks
Flop ($6) Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
4 checks, MP1 bets $4, hero calls, 4 folds
Turn ($14) 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
MP1 bets $8.00, hero calls
River ($30) 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
MP1 bets $8.00, hero raises to $24, MP1 calls
hero wins $75.00 from the main pot

Hand 2

Hand 2. This villain is somewhat maniacal (65/17/2.4 over 52 hands). 3 hands previously, he called me all the way down to the river with middle pair, where he made two pair and checked behind.

My stack $46.50
Villain has me covered

Dealt to hero 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
BB posts $1, 2 calls, hero calls, 1 fold, 3 calls, 1 check

Flop ($7), 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
1 check, BB bets $1, 2 folds, hero raises $8, villain calls $8, 3 folds

Turn ($24) T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
hero bets $15, villain pushes, hero calls $22.50
Old 12-26-2005, 01:00 AM

Default Re: 2 Xmas presents - flopped flushes - line check

Umm, you don't really need advice here do you? I like the way you played them. Merry Christmas.
Old 12-26-2005, 01:04 AM

Thanks. Maybe hand 2 was OK. I thought the river bet on the 1st hand should have been bigger. Part of the adjustment process to stepping up?
Old 12-26-2005, 01:05 AM

Hand #1 is OK. 4 players left to act behind you, and you can get some dead money in there and not reveal your strength so soon. I wouldn't mind seeing a turn raise though. That last diamond should be an action killer, and so you got lucky.

Hand #2, nh.
Old 12-26-2005, 01:11 AM

I'm not sure the river bet on first hand should have been bigger. Maybe it can be argued that is should have been bigger, but you don't know how strong his flush is. I might have bet $38 (the pot).

If you know he has a K-high flush, then you could bet more and probably get a call. But as is, he might have a baby flush. I think part of this is just guess-work mixed in with a read on your opponent. I'd be happy knowing I bet an amount that he decided to call. But, I think a pot-sized bet would be good here.
Old 12-26-2005, 01:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks. Maybe hand 2 was OK. I thought the river bet on the 1st hand should have been bigger. Part of the adjustment process to stepping up?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd prefer a raise on the turn. A diamond on the river is a big action killer and the board pairing might not be good, get some money in there with the nuts.
Old 12-26-2005, 02:50 AM

Hand 1 - The villain mucked so I don't know what he had. I had no reads, so I could only go on how I would play hands in his position. The only thing that made sense by the turn was KQ, 77 or [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] connectors. I'd have bet more than 1/2 pot with those hands, so I thought maybe he was weaker. I figured a raise might have scared him off. Going back I'd raise the turn though.

The river [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] spoilt my action. I didn't think I could be too aggressive.

Hand 2. I thought I played OK. I wasn't happy when he pushed, but I was committed. I thought Santa really had come when he showed 22 for a set. But then the river paired to give him a boat... That's poker I guess.

Thanks for the comments.