Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics

Old 12-17-2005, 11:49 AM

Default Scientists Find A DNA Change That Accounts For White Skin

Anyone see this article? Pretty interesting stuff. There is no such thing as race. White skin is just a genetic mutation. What are the implications for this discovery?
Old 12-17-2005, 12:12 PM

Default Re: Scientists Find A DNA Change That Accounts For White Skin

There is no such thing as race. White skin is just a genetic mutation. What are the implications for this discovery?

You're acting like this is some kind of revelation. Pretty basic knowledge, I think.
Old 12-17-2005, 01:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There is no such thing as race. White skin is just a genetic mutation. What are the implications for this discovery?

You're acting like this is some kind of revelation. Pretty basic knowledge, I think.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not to mention its not as if racists tend to respond well to facts and information.
Old 12-17-2005, 01:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]Not to mention its not as if racists tend to respond well to facts and information.

[/ QUOTE ]I guess I was sort of hopeful that some people who are racist would change their mind and see how much we all have in common. Oh well.
Old 12-17-2005, 01:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not to mention its not as if racists tend to respond well to facts and information.

[/ QUOTE ]

The white racists have to deal with the fact that they are the mutants who are oppressing the non-mutants.

The black racists have to deal with the fact that their bodies are sub-optimal for certain conditions (cold weather?)

If mutations take hold because they are better suited in certain locations, then it suggests that there is some truth to the idea that different races may naturally excel at different things (athletics, etc.), so this just continues the whole debate.....
Old 12-17-2005, 01:31 PM

"so this just continues the whole debate....."

What findings like this really show is that the differnces between me and a white person that i am not related to are about the same % wise as the differences between me and a black person i am not related to. Its just that one of those differences is much more visually noticeable.
Old 12-17-2005, 01:58 PM

Right.

And this is something that has long been well-known among black people. But white people are totally in the dark and are now going to shocked by this scientifc finding that just confirms what a lot of people have known for a long time.
Old 12-17-2005, 04:26 PM

Are you being serious? It's pretty much common knowledge unless you grew up in po-dunk hicksville somewhere and lived in a cage. I don't think that this was a "black idea" that us "white folk" just stumbled upon.
Old 12-17-2005, 04:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If mutations take hold because they are better suited in certain locations, then it suggests that there is some truth to the idea that different races may naturally excel at different things (athletics, etc.), so this just continues the whole debate.....

[/ QUOTE ]

So you are suggesting that the reason that virtually every top sprinter and basketball player in the world is black is not total coincidence?

You are correct. It would be nice if we could acknowledge that we are the same, yet different in some ways. Unfortunately, we cannot have a rational, serious discussion on any issue involving race in this country.

Several weeks ago Air Force football coach Fisher DeBerry suggested that his team needed more black players to compete athletically with some of their rivals, and an ESPN and LA Times commentator (Bill Plaschke) said that President Bush should fire him. That is the level of debate we are allowed to have. When somebody says something that is blatantly obvious to just about everyone, people want him fired.
Old 12-17-2005, 04:59 PM

Where did you grow up? I would have agreed with you about three years ago and then I went to college with a bunch of people from small towns. They had never met any Jews or black people before going to college. I think there is a wide gap between how people in different parts of the country understand the world.