Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em

Old 12-15-2005, 02:01 PM

Default 88 preflop question

all fold to hero in CO who raises with 88. SB(15/0/3.33 over 66 hands) 3-bets(so this would be first preflop raise in 66 hands) and then unknown caps in the BB. Hero...?
Old 12-15-2005, 02:07 PM

Default Re: 88 preflop question

You are getting 5:1 immediate odds on your call (based on SB calling the cap); you are pretty much playing for set value, so I think you have a call. Between the two players, you are probably up against some combination of overcards/bigger pairs. If you think you can make up 2.5BB postflop, then you are probably fine. I don't think I'd fold this.
Old 12-15-2005, 02:08 PM

Call and pray for an 8 on the flop.

They may not have jack, thinking you're just trying to steal the blinds.
Old 12-15-2005, 02:10 PM

Call and flop a set.

Or, you could call and flop quads.
Old 12-15-2005, 02:10 PM

I am going to assume that at least one of the 2 (if not both) have a bigger pair than you. Therefore you need 4:1 (including implied odds) to call this. The pot is currently has 9sbs in it and it is going to cost you 2 more. We are sure that the sb is going to throw in one more. So effectively you are getting 5:1 on your call. Therefore I call and flop a set or I go bye-bye.
Old 12-15-2005, 02:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am going to assume that at least one of the 2 (if not both) have a bigger pair than you. Therefore you need 4:1 (including implied odds) to call this. The pot is currently has 9sbs in it and it is going to cost you 2 more. We are sure that the sb is going to throw in one more. So effectively you are getting 5:1 on your call. Therefore I call and flop a set or I go bye-bye.

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe the odds to flop a set are about 7.5:1. I think 4.5:1 is if you take the hand to river no matter what, which you won't, so use the odds for flopping it.
Old 12-15-2005, 02:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe the odds to flop a set are about 7.5:1. I think 4.5:1 is if you take the hand to river no matter what, which you won't, so use the odds for flopping it.

[/ QUOTE ]

These flop-a-set odds are assuming you are behind right now. I don't think you necessarily are. You say SB is a good player. How does he view you? Would he think you are trying to steal the blinds? Do you think he wouldn't defend without a pair bigger than 8's, no AK or AQ or KQs? Or less? Who knows with BB? He might sense a steal battle, decided his hand was good enough to stick around so might as well cap as let you do it.

You don't mention the limits, but if blind stealing is prudent in this game and you fold here, you can kiss off ever stealing a blind from these guys...CALL here. If no overcards come on flop and checked to me, i'm betting again, set or not.
Old 12-15-2005, 03:44 PM

this is at 2/4 if that does shade peoples opinoins.

SB has good stats..im not sure if hes a good player.
Old 12-15-2005, 03:51 PM

I don't think you'll find a player who 3 bets a "blind steal" and has 0 raises in almost 70 hands... he has you beat.... especially if there are two of them.....

but you have to call and fold a non 8 flop.... also watch out for any cards Q or better on the flop as they probably have you set over set.
Old 12-15-2005, 04:04 PM

yeah during the hand i assumed that SB had a bigger pair than mine.

is there anyway to put a range on BB's coldcap from an unknown party 2/4 player?