Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2005, 11:07 AM

Default Hellmuth at main event

I was watching the televised 2005 Main Event last night, the part where Phil Hellmuth ends up getting eliminated.
I have to admit I was nothing but disgusted by his rude display of bad manners to the players around him. Some guy donked out on him by going all in with K, J against Hellmuth's A, K, and then catching a J on the river. Hellmuth called him "the worst player I've ever seen", etc etc. I really didn't notice if the guy had good pot odds to call Hellmuth's raise (the guy had raised first) - nonetheless, "that's poker". I'm not saying it's not frustrating to get beaten by players who are not "palying by the rules", but even the pros mix it up sometimes and are unpredictable and get lucky. I thought it was especially rude coming from someone who has been so successful -
Old 10-24-2005, 11:10 AM

Default Re: Hellmuth at main event

Good observations. Nice to see we are finally getting a thread on this.
Old 10-24-2005, 11:10 AM

Ok, the guy did not call an all in with KJs, he tried to push Hellmuth off his hand by re-raising all in. Hellmuth called so fast his chips left track marks on the table, and then got rivered by the 3 outer.
Old 10-24-2005, 11:19 AM

Yeah, but the guy was an idiot. He earlier lost an all-in against a short stack with his JT vs. an underpair and called it a bad beat because his flopped straight lost to a runner-runner full house. Anyone who thinks that the order of the cards after the money goes in makes something a bad beat is an idiot.
Old 10-24-2005, 11:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, but the guy was an idiot. He earlier lost an all-in against a short stack with his JT vs. an underpair and called it a bad beat because his flopped straight lost to a runner-runner full house. Anyone who thinks that the order of the cards after the money goes in makes something a bad beat is an idiot.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah the guy called an decent sized all in (relative to the blinds) with J high. He was a moron, Phil stated the obvious truth. Not PC but you can't knock a guy for telling the truth
Old 10-24-2005, 11:43 AM

Hellmuth set this guy up perfectly. He made a big deal out of two folds (that were not even that huge of laydowns) within 30 minutes before that. Donkey raises, Hellmuth reraises. Donkey thinks "hmm, Phil will fold anything here", and pushes 15k in over the top. Phil knows this donkey well enough to call. And Phil's genius on this play was no match for lady luck.

It was fun as hell to watch live though, I made it in the background of a few of the shots right around that hand on ESPN as well.
Old 10-24-2005, 11:43 AM

Hellmuth complains when someone gets lucky on him, but he says nothing when his A-J hits two pair to save him from being outkicked...if he was the one with A-Q he would have told the "donkey" to know preflop that he was dominated!
Old 10-24-2005, 12:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hellmuth complains when someone gets lucky on him, but he says nothing when his A-J hits two pair to save him from being outkicked...if he was the one with A-Q he would have told the "donkey" to know preflop that he was dominated!

[/ QUOTE ]

I was about to say the same thing. Phil showed absolutely no class on this hand. He carried on all day and then when he hands one out he doesnt even offer the slightest gesture of consolation.

Great lay down with the A/K hand though. Gotta give that one to Phil.
Old 10-24-2005, 01:29 PM

Extremely entertaining...Hellmuth says what we all think, plus more cussing!
Old 10-24-2005, 01:31 PM

On TV, it looked like the guy wanted to(and was very capable of) snapping Hellmuth in half. Did you get a sense at the time this could've come to blows?