Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Computer Technical Help

Old 07-11-2005, 02:43 AM

Default Which are the quietest computers (regarding fan noise)?

Hi, I'm going to get a new computer to replace my Dell 2350. This 2350 I have now has built in video support and cannot handle the Dell 20 inch or 24 inch widescreen monitor that I will also be getting to 4-table. Aside from not being able to 4 table using the 2001, this computer is noisy as hell. The fan is so loud that it gets irritating. I don't know if all Dells are like this or only this model which at the time was their cheapest one. I only got this computer (I normally use Macs) to play poker so I just went for the cheapest one.

I know Sony makes liquid cooled computers that are suppose to be pretty quiet, but does anyone else have use a computer with a good graphics card (may need to get a good one for the 24in Dell) that is pretty quiet? I guess since I use macs i'm just used to a silent computer. Since I live in the sticks I would probably be getting the computer by mailorder so I can't actually hear the thing before I buy, which is why I am asking for help. Thanks!
Old 07-11-2005, 02:55 AM

Default Re: Which are the quietest computers (regarding fan noise)?

You could always build your own, and read articles such as http://www.tweak3d.net/articles/howtobuildapc1/ and http://www.quietpcusa.com/articles/h..._computer.html to get a how-to and a gist of the stuff you'll need. I did, its easy but then again I'm a techhead.
Old 07-11-2005, 03:53 AM

I have a Antec Sonata computer case and it is pretty damn quiet + slick.

edit: They actually put it out there as the quitest case on the market. Definitely worth a look, I love mine.
Old 07-11-2005, 04:08 AM

thanks for the replies, but I guess I should have added that I need to buy the computer ready-to-go as I have no idea how to build one myself. Does anyone have a Dell with a quiet fan? Dell would be most convenient for me, and I'm hoping the only reason mine is so noisy is because I bought the no-frills model for only $399. I will pretty much use it only for poker, but it has to have a good enough video card to handle the 24 inch widescreen Dell.
Old 07-11-2005, 04:12 AM

Another option is to get longer cords and put the computer in a closet. There's no way something in your room is going to be quieter than your standard PC in a closet.

Also, since we don't use disks anymore, you'll rarely have to actually do anything physically with the computer.
Old 07-11-2005, 04:23 AM

You can get a completely silent computer with a Zalman case, that has passive cooling.

Will cost you quite a bit of money though.
Old 07-11-2005, 04:52 AM

Building a comp is much cheaper and isn't that hard. I'm sure you know someone who could help.
Old 07-11-2005, 05:25 AM

Thermaltake has some very nice, and high-priced computer cases. They are designed to keep your case super cool if you plan on overclocking your computer. If you don't feel comfortable with the liquid cooling, than this would be a great option. The one I have has 7 fans installed, and you can't even hear them run.
Old 07-11-2005, 07:42 AM

My Dell Dimension 8400 doesn't make a sound.

GOod luck,
Matt
Old 07-11-2005, 08:27 AM

Just get a good dell laptop - nice and quiet - wi-fi and you can run your monitor off it for 8 tabling with no overlap.

Make sure it has the WUXGA monitor in-built.