Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar

Old 12-25-2005, 02:32 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand
Default Re: Was asked to coach another player last night, now what?

Give it a shot and help him. He may easily just quit after awhile and go back to his normal, old donating ways. Remember, don't assume he will become this 'strong' player. Many start out studying. Then upon realization of just what it takes to win, and how it means not being in many hands, quit playing tight because they like being actually 'involved' in more hands. They can really get enamored when they see a bad player on a big run and the tight style they're trying is losing.

You should be flattered when someone asks you for this. I wouldn't care what the reaction to the other players in the game is. It has nothing to do with them.

b
Old 12-25-2005, 03:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
There is also the reaction of the other players in the game to be considered.

[/ QUOTE ]
Why?

Now you are worried about what other people will think of you!?

[/ QUOTE ]

Only two things give me worry and neither really has to do with "what they think of me".

Some people are going to play differently against me than they would have before seeing me coach another regular. That will take time to adjust to and could be costly in the mean time. Not a major concern, but something for me to consider.

More likely will be the nit(s) that will want to make a big deal of it and disrupt the game as a result. Which has the chain reaction effect of pissing off the regulars, the dealer(s) and the floor.
Old 12-25-2005, 03:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you don't want to help the guy the very least you could do is direct him here and then leave the rest up to him.

[/ QUOTE ]

Already have, he is a lurker here. Likely has been following the thread too.

But frankly this media is not the best for carrying on a deep talk. It is static and slow. You can get a lot more done in a ten minute conversation than you can in a day of posts here.
Old 12-25-2005, 03:33 PM

I would say yes in a heartbeat. Guaranteed income. As for the rest of the players, now they KNOW that you're SO GOOD that people will pay to get lessons from you. Now you exploit that image with slightly looser play and a few more bluffs. Either way, you win. It's a propaganda war on the one hand, and a simple teaching job on the other.

I DO give lessons. If you're willing to pay me, I'll give you an abundance of solid and specific advice on how to play a variety of card games, including limit or no limit hold'em.

There are plenty of fish to go around, and plenty of games, so I'm not worried about the consequences of educating one particular fish. After all, there's there's a sea full of them.

al
Old 12-25-2005, 03:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Some people are going to play differently against me than they would have before seeing me coach another regular. That will take time to adjust to and could be costly in the mean time. Not a major concern, but something for me to consider.

[/ QUOTE ]

Doubt it. In what way will they play different? I wouldn't even consider it until I actually notice a change in the action. Even then it doesn't necesarily mean anything. They're regulars. They've already seen how you play. You're giving them too much credit.

Another thing...who says you have to announce to everyone what you're doing when you're sitting behind him watching? Just act like you're a bud to the guy who wants to sweat him a couple hands. You don't feel like playing but want to watch him for a bit.

You're making this out to be much more than it is.

b
Old 12-25-2005, 03:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You can get a lot more done in a ten minute conversation than you can in a day of posts here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not necesarily.

b
Old 12-26-2005, 06:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I am leaning towards doing it, but thought I would get some other thoughts before proceeding.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course you are welcome to do it. Poker pros the world over are peddling their advice right now in the form of books, DVD's, poker camps, and even one-on-one tutoring for those with deep pockets. There was a great deal of hand wringing angst about the hole card cams when the TV broadcasts of the tourneys started doing it, with all the pros fearing their "secrets" would be revealed, but it turns out this was the greatest thing that ever happened to the game. So if you WANT to do it, by all means, charge ahead.
Old 12-26-2005, 02:40 PM

I'd do it.

Tell him that his final exam will be with you playing. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

If a player wanted to learn and approached me the same way, I would not hesitate to help provided he is a good person (based on his attitude at the table and from conversations). If I saw you with him at the game, I wouldn't object.
Old 12-26-2005, 03:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would say yes in a heartbeat. Guaranteed income. As for the rest of the players, now they KNOW that you're SO GOOD that people will pay to get lessons from you. Now you exploit that image with slightly looser play and a few more bluffs. Either way, you win. It's a propaganda war on the one hand, and a simple teaching job on the other.

I DO give lessons. If you're willing to pay me, I'll give you an abundance of solid and specific advice on how to kick people in the nuts, including from the front, back or sides, left or right footed.

There are plenty of fish to go around, and plenty of games, so I'm not worried about the consequences of educating one particular fish. After all, there's there's a sea full of them.

al

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP
Old 12-26-2005, 06:28 PM

Educate him. If you have any sense of humanity left in poker you'll actually feel happy and satisfied if he becomes a better player, and make a good friend for the next few years.

This at the cost of a portion of your winnings.