Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 12-20-2005, 12:35 PM

Default $5K Trump Classic hand - I am a chicken

Day two of the main event at the Trump Classic. I am moved to a new table and have not played many if any hands at the new table. I have about 35K which is just about average or maybe just above average. SB has almost 100K and is close to being chip leader at this point of the tournament.

Blinds are 200 - 400 with a 50 ante (IIRC). I am on the button with Jd8d. Folded to me and I make a standard raise to 1400. SB and BB both call. Flop misses me completely and comes 9 high with 1 diamond. Checked to me and I bet 2500. SB raises to 7500 and BB folds.

I am fairly certain that SB did not get any piece of this flop and is simply using his chips to take the pot away because he is assuming that I am making a standard continuation bet (he is correct). I think for half a minute and reraise to 12K. SB takes about 3 or 4 minutes and makes the call.

I am pretty sure that I am now done with this hand. I believe SB has a small pocket pair that did not hit his set, and he is calling me down at this point. I have 21K in chips left.

The turn comes K (IIRC). We both check fairly quickly. The river comes another blank low card. The SB then starts counting out chips and I patiently wait to muck my hand as soon as he bets. After several minutes another player calls a clock.

I am not sure what to make of all the time he is taking. I start to wonder if maybe he thinks he is behind and is trying to muster the courage to make a big bet to get me off my hand. Or maybe he is trying to decide how much he can bet that will get paid off because he actually has a big hand. All I know is that I am folding to any bet with my J high.

After the floor counts down the clock on him he simply checks.

It occurs to me that I can pick up a 30K pot if I move all in here. It also occurs to me that this guy may very well call with his small pocket pair because he has a ton of chips and I can only fire another 21K at this 30K pot.

I decide to go with my initial read and I just check and I flip over my J high hand (which is not a bad thing for the rest of the table to see that I will raise with J high). The SB shows Q high and takes the pot! Oh man I should have bet! What a chicken I am.

Temp
Old 12-20-2005, 12:54 PM

Default Re: $5K Trump Classic hand - I am a chicken

What shows the difference between a pro and someone like me is that he would've read the SB and fearlessly pushed.

I, however, am also a chicken and would not have done so.
Old 12-20-2005, 01:01 PM

I would have kept the pot as small as possible when the flop didn't help your hand and it was three way. Probably checking behind on the flop and then betting out about 2/3rds of the pot if they both checked again to you on the turn, just to see if I can pick it up.

That being said it's hard for you to stick in 21k there, but from the description of the guy a fearless pro like a Barry Greenstein or Mike Matusow would have stuck all their chips in.
Old 12-20-2005, 01:04 PM

the king on the turn is a great card for you. you need to bet that turn.

-Scott
Old 12-20-2005, 01:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the king on the turn is a great card for you. you need to bet that turn.

-Scott

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree, i think you had to bet that turn. i would have even liked it better if you had checked the flop.
Old 12-20-2005, 01:39 PM

ditto on the turn bet.
Old 12-20-2005, 01:44 PM

I agree with betting the turn but I hate your flop min-reraise. Is there any real hand you would do this with?

Steve
Old 12-20-2005, 01:56 PM

oh wow didnt see the minreraise.... ewwwwwwwwwwwwww
Old 12-20-2005, 01:58 PM

This guy goes 3 bets on the flop and then checks? Very odd. Yeah you should bet the turn, but in lieu of that, he checks AGAIN on the river? Yeah, I'd push. I might not be as smart as I am aggressive/wreckless though, but that's what i would do at that point.

With your read on the flop though I don't 3-bet this guy, I'd just call his check-raise. You keep the pot smaller and you have position on him and can make your move on the turn. Plus just calling a check-raise is indicative of enough strength to slow him down if he was making a move.
Old 12-20-2005, 02:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree with betting the turn but I hate your flop min-reraise. Is there any real hand you would do this with?

Steve

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes. I would do this with a real hand as long as there are no real draws on the board. The small re-raise is screaming for action and usually gets none. Normally if the SB did not have a hand and was just trying to pick up the pot he is going to fold to the small re-raise.