Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-03-2005, 05:24 AM

Default 3/6: Blind Battle - I call down second pair

SB is 32/18 over 30 hands He's nothing special post flop.

PokerRoom 3/6 Hold'em (5 handed, 5 max)

Preflop: Hero is in the BB with J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
<font color="gray">3 folds</font>, <font color="red">SB raises</font>, <font color="red">Hero 3-bets</font>, SB calls.

Flop: (6 SB) 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="red">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (4 BB) 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>

River: (5.5 BB) K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Old 12-03-2005, 05:44 AM

Default Re: 3/6: Blind Battle - I call down second pair

the river card is nasty, but SB is aggressive PF and will thus steal with a wide range, say J9-J8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] for example. I think a call down is fine flop/turn and the river card makes me want to puke, call and take a note.

EDIT: fluffs strategy looks better to me actually [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 12-03-2005, 05:50 AM

I really don't like this as a standard line. I would raise the flop or call and fold the turn (by which I mean I use a mixed strategy, tending to raise the flop). If you play like this as a standard, it will be much easier for your opponents to play correctly against you.
Old 12-03-2005, 06:04 AM

I dont think sb got the ace when he donks you on the flop. I would probably raise but that might be a mistake since he will probably be able to lay down his worse hand on the turn then. I think your line is fine. You might even be able to raise the turn. The river card obviously suck but meh the pot is big.
Old 12-03-2005, 06:53 AM

I don't know about preflop....Sounds like no one has any problems with it and it is nice to take control of the hand so I guess it's fine.

On the hand, I would raise the turn and take a free showdown.
Old 12-03-2005, 07:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I really don't like this as a standard line. I would raise the flop or call and fold the turn (by which I mean I use a mixed strategy, tending to raise the flop). If you play like this as a standard, it will be much easier for your opponents to play correctly against you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Raising the flop lets worse hands off a little too easily for me, as well as setting yourself up to get CRd on the turn. Plus, if he 3-bets you, it sucks.
Old 12-03-2005, 07:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know about preflop....Sounds like no one has any problems with it and it is nice to take control of the hand so I guess it's fine.

On the hand, I would raise the turn and take a free showdown.

[/ QUOTE ]

imo this is an easy 3bet vs a guy with these numbers, particularly seeing as its a blind battle. He raises 18% of his hands as is. J10s would definately have value against his typical open SB raising range. Our sample size is very small though.
Old 12-03-2005, 07:35 AM

JTs on it's own probaply doesn't have an egde over his raising hands first in from the SB, but when taken in to account that you got position and gets the lead over the hand I agree it's a pretty simpel 3-bet

equity (%) win (%) tie (%)
Hand 1: 47.7882 % 46.28% 01.51% { JTs }
Hand 2: 52.2118 % 50.71% 01.51% { 22+, A2s+, K2s+, Q2s+, J6s+, T7s+, 97s+, 87s, 76s, 65s, A2o+, K5o+, Q8o+, J8o+, T8o+, 98o, 87o }

Even with this very broad range JTs is the dog.
Old 12-03-2005, 07:36 AM

deepsquat

Those are good points, although I think if you can control him postflop you could get more value out of him by just calling
Old 12-03-2005, 07:42 AM

3-betting here is standard for me. JTs is a good hand in this shot. I could only see myself calling if villain had a track record of being passive PF.