Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2005, 04:51 AM

Default Re: ESPN\'s coverage hurts the game

[ QUOTE ]
Notice how the screaming and carrying on is far reduced on WPT broadcasts

[/ QUOTE ]

That's because the WPT is filmed in a heavily controlled environment. They show 6 players playing poker in what is essentially a tv-studio; there's makeup and visual effects and the tournament is actually structured AROUND the broadcast.

The WSOP coverage documents a total event, similar to the way Woodstcok documented a rock and roll festival. And, while you might not consider the loutish Scotsman "important at all to the game," he represents a real faction of players who show up at the WSOP: those with no serious intention of winning the tournament but come seeking media attention anyway. If you are a serious poker player, do you really want to see these people stay home next year? I don't.
Old 10-26-2005, 04:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]

That last point's really important. These people might get air time, but pay attention to the way they're presented. It would be a LOT different if you had guys like Ivey or Ferguson fist-pumping and shouting and [censored].

[/ QUOTE ]

Except that this year Mike Matusow makes it all the way to the final-table. And I'm sure there are a numbe of shaky-jittery-fist-pumped "I'm so great's" in there along the way.

I don't know this though.
All I know is that it's Matusow...and he makes it to the final-table...so I'm just guessing as to what kind of behavior he will exhibit on his way there.
Old 10-26-2005, 05:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

That last point's really important. These people might get air time, but pay attention to the way they're presented. It would be a LOT different if you had guys like Ivey or Ferguson fist-pumping and shouting and [censored].

[/ QUOTE ]

Except that this year Mike Matusow makes it all the way to the final-table. And I'm sure there are a numbe of shaky-jittery-fist-pumped "I'm so great's" in there along the way.

I don't know this though.
All I know is that it's Matusow...and he makes it to the final-table...so I'm just guessing as to what kind of behavior he will exhibit on his way there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah but ESPN is under no obligation to spin Mike Matusow as a great player, even though he makes the final table, and I don't think they will. And I suspect that his abrasiveness factors into that decision, but I could be wrong.
Old 10-26-2005, 05:20 AM

I may be in the minority here but while I wouldn't like some of the behavior described here to happen at my table in a real poker event (although I have no problem with Phil or Mike the Mouth's behavior) I was playing in, I do think it makes for more entertaining television. And little bits like the guy going off to phone a friend about his bluff of Lederer before he then gets knocked out by Howard a little later do add an enjoyable story line about the type of player who may be playing over his head who will be happy to have the story of how he beat the pro in one key hand, and given how everyone was coming over the top of Lederer and how he correctly predicted that this meant once he actually caught some cards he'd build a stack fast, this type of color was important to the storyline. I mean I'd love them to show more hands and expand their coverage, but I'd still like to include some of the chatter, needling, celebrations, and other color to make the broadcast more interesting.
Old 10-26-2005, 07:48 AM

Its no longer broadcasting a poker event.. It is now Reality TV, no different from Real World, Average Joe, etc.. People get an opportunity to be a douchebag on national tv.
Old 10-26-2005, 08:45 AM

All that is pretty bad, but nowhere close to as bad as holding the money up at the end, that sucks, it's just vulgar.

Mack
Old 10-26-2005, 08:50 AM

Location: Pokah Is Nice, I Love Play Pokah (Chau Giang quote) Location: Massachusetts

When are you prudes going to realize that jackass behavoir is +EV for us? It's exciting to watch.

Raymer is a great guy and a true gentleman. But you can't keep the general public glued to the television and interested in poker if all you show is people being polite all the time. It would just put the general audience (i.e. the donks who overplay K/J sooted) to sleep, and then we'd have less dead money to go after.
Old 10-26-2005, 08:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
you just make poker look like one giant unfunny joke about nonexistant ex wives.

[/ QUOTE ]

Quite a Quantum Leap so to speak.

Mack
Old 10-26-2005, 08:59 AM

I'm a little reluctant to post this, but I've come to the realization that I'm the only one on this site that finds Norman Chad slightly entertaining. I kind of dig his sense of humor.
Old 10-26-2005, 09:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm a little reluctant to post this, but I've come to the realization that I'm the only one on this site that finds Norman Chad slightly entertaining. I kind of dig his sense of humor.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah, it's just the haters are more vocal then us luke warm supporters. In the context of the overall coverage, I don't think he sucks. Would I rather see more of a Turning Stone type broadcast? Yes. Since they aren't going to do that, then I don't think he is that bad.