Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-01-2005, 01:40 PM

Default Re: Hunting Rabbits at the Commerce: first trip to LA

[ QUOTE ]
Rabbit hunting is a BAD PRACTICE plain and simple.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree. But there are many other "bad practices" that are far worse that need to be controlled more effectively. So it is not "plain and simple" in the real world.

[ QUOTE ]
In permitting it, you allow players to not only see the cards that were to come, but in seeing those cards you can now know that a player that did not have to show his cards did not hold those cards that were rabbit hunted.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not permitted (refer to my response to beetyjoose and Randy Redfeld above).

[ QUOTE ]
For example, suppose player 1 run a bluff on player 2, representing the nut flush, and the rabbit hunted card shows the Ace of the flush suit, thus proving a player was bluffing without actually paying to see his cards. This is just one example of why this can be bad for the game - I am sure there are many other reasons ...

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm against rabbit hunting. I've never rabbit hunted. I'm glad there is already a somewhat loosely enforced rule against it. But it isn't as important a rule/policy as 1) "act in turn to protect the action of others", 2) "verbal and physical abuse of dealers and players is prohibited" and some others I don't have time to get into.

Let me try to make a (probably poor) analogy. Freeways and highways have posted speed limits and signs indicating that the right lane at a certain point is "exit only". They also have signs that indicate where exits lead to and so on. It makes sense that they have these signs and this is good.

But there are many other laws pertaining to freeway travel. Some are obviously important (e.g., don't change five lanes all at once while cutting off others). Don't drink and drive. Pay attention to road conditions (perhaps we should add "and not your cell phone conversation" [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] ). But it is reasonable that we generally don't have signs posted for these laws, as it would diminish the stress on the more important laws or just state the obvious (e.g., I think cutting across five lines in heavy traffic is far more deadly than speeding in light traffic).

For political and practical reasons I rarely speak up against rabbit hunting as a player (when it's done excessively others will anyway). OTOH, I will often stand up (often alone) against dealer and player abuse and gross actions out of turn.

Regards,

Rick
Old 06-01-2005, 02:10 PM

The biggest problem with this "bad practices" in L.A. is that the dealers are plain bad (or just bad educated). I never saw so much mistakes by dealers as in Commerce live games and Bike tournaments.

In the live games lots of these "bad practices" happened (like showing cards to the next player during the game and of course rabbit hunting) and none of the dealers made any effort to control the game. They had enough trouble to figure out their own work.
In the tourney it wasn't so much bad practices but huge mistakes (how to handle side potts or action that happend in the wrong order). Good thing was that we had some experienced people at the table that were able to correct the dealer early enough (so there was no need to call the floor everytime). But in a three hour tournament this can get really annoying.

Shadow
Old 06-01-2005, 02:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The biggest problem with this "bad practices" in L.A. is that the dealers are plain bad (or just bad educated). I never saw so much mistakes by dealers as in Commerce live games and Bike tournaments.

[/ QUOTE ]

I couldn't agree more. I couldn't believe how long it took them to do simple tasks. They have shuffling machines and they still take forever just to deal the cards. Several times they got involved in conversations with regulars and lost track of whose action it was. Which directly led to people acting out of turn.