Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance

Old 12-26-2005, 07:28 AM

Default The Meaning of Poker

To: Poker Players

What I am about to write might completely change the world or it might be totally meaningless. I can't be sure with asking for help from all of you. Read through this thing and tell me what you think. What's that? You're not sure how to tell me? Just do something, using whatever means you can. The rest will work itself out.

Here's the main point: I want to feel pleasure. I like feeling good and I don't like feeling bad. I feel good when I eat healthy things that are good for me, create offspring, spend my time wisely, and feel like the other things around me are helping accomplish my goals.

So what is standing in my way? Nothing, even though I think that answer might also be everything.

You see, I've grown up as a human being on Planet Earth. I've never been to any other planet, so I can't really comment on what life is like in those places. Anyway, on Planet Earth, machines confuse me. They seem to make my life easier, but I also see them hurting people all the time. Machines are tools that people use to kill each other. I don't understand people. At the same time, I've convinced myself that I can't understand machines at all. Huh?

You see, I've never actually asked a machine to help me. I've tried to force machines to help me, which always seems to backfire. When I take a step back and try to understand machines something productive seems to happen.

If you're starting to think people are sort of like machines, I would suggest that you take it one step further. People are not just like machines, they are machines! Think about it. We crave to understand other people but are constantly hurting each other. We don't intend to destroy other people, but we do it anyway. Oops. We try to learn from our mistakes but always seem to do the same dumb thing.

It seems like humans and machines have been engaged in a type low-level conflict for as long as I can remember. We keep destroying one another for no reason at all. I get angry at a microwave for doing what I told it to do and curse. The toaster then burns something that I wanted to eat. I blame myself and eat the thing anyway. My body reacts by getting less healthy and then I respond by laying on the couch and eating cheese doodles.

Of course, I like the cheese doodles and the couch. I don't want to believe that they could be the source of my problem. So what is the answer?

Well, you've know it all along. Everything in moderation. Do what you want, but do it for the right reasons. If you want to drink, drink-- but not enough to hurt yourself. If you want to eat, eat-- but everything in moderation. If you want to [censored] (You don't? Really? Why?), let's do it for the right reason.

Love is everywhere. You just have to look for it.

Warmly,
Waxie

PS
This is not a gag account. If you want to know more about me, please go here: <a href="A Broad View" target="_blank">http://abroadview.blogspot.com</a> . If can figure out who I am, I'd say it would be standard.

PPS
My screen name at PokerStars is Ben4Poker. If you liked this essay, send me some cash. If you didn't like it, send some money anyway 'cause I am going to need to find a new job.
Old 12-26-2005, 08:31 AM

Default Re: The Meaning of Poker

Standard?
Old 12-26-2005, 10:35 AM

tl;dr
Old 12-27-2005, 08:55 PM

?
Old 12-26-2005, 11:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My screen name at PokerStars is Ben4Poker. If you liked this essay, send me some cash. If you didn't like it, send some money anyway 'cause I am going to need to find a new job.

[/ QUOTE ]

So basically, this is a begging post?
Old 12-27-2005, 08:53 PM

If you liked what I wrote, I don't think it is begging. I usually try to pay authors for the things I read. Sometimes they don't need the money, so they don't accept it.

If you don't like it, please tell me why.
Old 12-26-2005, 11:28 AM

Anyone else notice the split infinitive in paragraph 6?
Old 12-26-2005, 12:59 PM

empty your mind.

be formless, shapeless... like water.

you pour water into a cup, it becomes the cup. you pour water into a bowl, it becomes the bowl. you pour water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.

now water can flow, or it can crash.

be water, my friend.

(bruce lee)
Old 12-26-2005, 01:51 PM

so i guess .5/.10 NL doesnt pay the bills does it
Old 12-27-2005, 08:50 PM

it can, but the hours suck.