Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2005, 02:29 PM

Default Your line in this hand?

3 handed with slight chip lead. I have say 6500 or so. Button has 3500ish and BB has 5000ish. Blinds are 200 400. I pick up pocket 4s in the small blind. Button raises to 900. I re-raised to 2000. My image is a tough LAG who has been raising QUITE frequently and could have a WIDE range of hands. So obviously when the button goes all-in and I figure her for two overcards, its an insta-call with odds. If I lose, I'm fairly short-stacked with only 5 BB. I figure I could get my money in again with a decent race which I could be back in the hunt if I won. I lost both that race and my next race (my KJ to AQ). So I take 3rd.

So my question is this:
Whats your line there w/44 knowing its a coin flip?
Dump it - not risking getting shortstacked over a coinflip?
Call - see what comes out and play your reads from there?
Push and accept the coinflip if the button calls/goes all-in?

Its sort of a third or first type of race...but I probably could've pacified my way/chopped out small pots down to heads up and played for the win from there.

Pay out was $10 $25 $35

Whats your line? What do you think?

Three handed, do you take a coin-flip for 3rd/1st? Or keep it post-flop and chop it out to heads up?
Old 11-15-2005, 03:34 PM

Default Re: Your line in this hand?

To me it depends on your reads on the button. If he is fairly aggressive post-flop you might be better off to just push him preflop then so he can only call with good cards. Calling would be better if the button is fairly passive or very obvious with what he has after the flop. I don't like folding just because a pair is such a big hand 3 handed.
Old 11-15-2005, 03:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
To me it depends on your reads on the button. If he is fairly aggressive post-flop you might be better off to just push him preflop then so he can only call with good cards. Calling would be better if the button is fairly passive or very obvious with what he has after the flop. I don't like folding just because a pair is such a big hand 3 handed.

[/ QUOTE ]

eh, it's not so big a hand facing a raise, out of position, and with an image of a loose raiser.

i'd consider folding. i don't like taking the coinflip, unless i feel like i need to gamble b/c i'm weak against the field.
Old 11-15-2005, 08:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i'd consider folding. i don't like taking the coinflip, unless i feel like i need to gamble b/c i'm weak against the field.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a great point. Think about how you stack up (talent wise) compared to the rest of the field at this point. Be honest with yourself. I agree that pushing here is what i would do if i didn't think i could play with the other players at the table. If you feel that you are that much better than the other players at the table, there is no way you should be taking coin tosses in this spot with your stack size.
I would call here and try to take it away on the flop if a ragged flop appears or possibly even fold.
Old 11-16-2005, 03:26 AM

The button usually plays classicly weak-tight - and I am - at worst - equal in skills to one of the other players and am more skilled than the button in which this hand is against.

I think you guys are right. Fold it or else call and try to 'steal it' (with the best hand) on the flop...but out of position...Its a tough spot. Probably even a fold then I guess.

At the time I figured fold or push - wasting the 900 calling didn't seem right given the blinds. I guess I thought my FE was good enough to push it. Then it ended up being the ONE hand the entire tourney that anyone pushed all-in against one of my raises.

I had just read Paul Phillips post on taking edges in tourneys - that affected my decision. Now trying to re-enter balance into the equation.
Old 11-16-2005, 05:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So obviously when the button goes all-in and I figure her for two overcards, its an insta-call with odds

[/ QUOTE ]

how can you figure her for 2 overcards - AA-22 is totally in her range as well

44 sucks for a play like this - qj is much better

easy fold
Old 11-16-2005, 11:51 AM

900 is 1/4 of the buttons stack, next hand they are in the BB and will commit another 400. 900+400 =1300 which is a little over a third of the buuton current stack. So, if the button is an average player, any raise by you will put them all in. 44 is not a good enough hand to compete against an all-in. Call or fold, fold is probably a wee bit better.