Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-2005, 05:54 AM

Default I\'m finally ready to start learning how to play NL tournaments...

Let me preface this with some information about myself. I'm a limit Hold'em cash game player, and I'd like to think I'm a good one. I've played tournaments, done well in limit tournaments, but its clear that NL is the wave of the future, and instead of just complaing about getting outlucked every time I get knocked out of a NL tourny, i've decided to start studying and improving my NL tournament game.

Here's the situation:

$225 buy-in 2nd chance tourny at the WSOP. There were about 200 total players, and we're down to about 40. The tournament is paying 18 spots.

Ante's are 75, blinds 300-600. I've got 6500 (we all started with 1k, no rebuys). I'm UTG+1 in a 9 handed table. UTG goes all-in for 2050. I look down at 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. Whats my best move here? I think arguments can be made for all 3 options, and I really have no clue what is best/correct. Any help greatly appreciated.

lf
Old 06-13-2005, 05:58 AM

Default Re: I\'m finally ready to start learning how to play NL tournaments...

this tourney was weird when I played it. I would need other table stacks to make a fair reason to do anything other than fold here, btw. 66 isn't enough of a hand and you can steal blinds rather liberally in this tourney.
Old 06-13-2005, 06:03 AM

Fold. You're not that shortstacked and you in too early of a position for a weak pair.
Old 06-13-2005, 08:49 AM

Out of position for the most part.

Weak pair.

Too costly to raise and fold.

Therefore you should fold.

If the blinds were 100-200, I would raise to 500 and hopefully you can see the flop and might be in position versus the a cold call from the blinds. If the table was really aggro, I would probably fold at this level and wait for a better spot.

Stipe
Old 06-13-2005, 10:00 AM

I would fold. Even if UG is on a stone bluff, it is likely he has 1-2 overcards. That in itself would make this a call. But with 7 players yet to act, there is too much of a chance that another player will call to make your overpush (only play IMO) worthwhile.
Old 06-13-2005, 04:03 PM

Default Can you guys help me with a math checkup?

I figured that UTG was just making a desparation push with his last chips, probably with some sort of Ace.

What is the chance that somebody in the hand was dealt a pair of 7's or better? My math goes like this:

1/222 to get dealt any specifici PP X 8= 8/222 to get dealt 7's or better

8/222x8 (number of players other then myself)=64/222=28.8%

Is that right?

To me that seems like too god of a chance to do anything but fold here. Unfortunately I'm terrible at NL and in the heat of the moment I pushed...and got called by QQ... who had exactly as many chips as I did...and the best hand won.

lf
Old 06-14-2005, 05:26 AM

Default Re: Can you guys help me with a math checkup?

nobody can check this math for me?

any other comments on the hand?

lf
Old 06-14-2005, 06:14 AM

Default Re: Can you guys help me with a math checkup?

I'll leave the actual math to someone more qualified, as there are many such people here. IMHO, you muck your 6s without delay. You have that 1 in 7.5 chance to improve on the flop. What are you hoping that he has here that you call it with? You're a slight favorite or a big underdog, most of the table still to act. Limit and No Limit are as differnt as night and day to me, personally, and think for most people too. Best of luck in your conversion.

PS. One final comment, tournies are about survival, and with the graduated payouts, your last chips are worth more than other chips. (RE: Gambling Theory and Other Topics by Mason Malmuth) To best illustrate this point, I will quote Darse's No-Limit Hold'Em Tournament Primer, which I found under 1-table tournies FAQ.

"Once you are in the money, remember that the main objective is to survive as long as possible. This could mean making some unusual looking plays. For example, suppose you onyl ahve one chip left and are dealt QQ, but a palyer before youcalls the big bling all-in. Since tehre is a decent chance of a player being eliminated this hand, your best option could very well be to fold.!"

Just my thoughts, hope they helped somewhat.