Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em

Old 12-27-2005, 10:17 AM

Default The Quick Call ???

Okay I was playing 3 handed 1-2, mega fish, me and Jdags.

I open in SB with AK, JDags 3 bets from BB I cap, flop comes 7-4-2 rainbow, turn 8 spades, making 2 spades, I bet he raises, I call (kinda quick) river non spade small card, I check he bets, I think, think and reluctently payoff, he has 9-10 for 10 high...MHIG

when talking about this hand with a friend he said "Call the turn real fast" then if he bets the river he has it so I can fold, but if "you think on the turn you have to call the river."

My question is instead of doing this quick call on the turn I have heard so much about, isnt it better to do the slow call and always pay off ? Heads up in the blinds with an agressive expert it cant be that wrong to always go to showdown with AK, and the slow turn call will entice him to always fire the last barrel.

is my thinking waaaay off here ??
Old 12-27-2005, 11:23 AM

Default Re: The Quick Call ???

imo, trying to manipulate your opponent w/ the speed of your calls will get noticed. i just try to keep all my calls the same, although thats impossible due to multitabling...so the difference in my call speeds is pretty random.

as far as what it means, enon told me once i have a tell in live play. we were playing 40/80 and after the session he said that when i "quick call" the turn i intend to fold the river. meaning that my quick call was meant to stop a river bluff b/c iw anted to see a SD but not for another bet.

this is kinda the opposite of what your friend's description of the effect of a quick call vs. jdags would have been. your friend's generalization about what a quick call means w/o knowing the person may be correct. but its more than likely dangerous because you dont know what it means to jdags.

it could be the kind of quick call i described vs. enon, or it could mean something else. w/ AK there 3 handed on that board though i dont care about the speed of his call, we're seeing a SD a vast majority of the time.

Barron
Old 12-27-2005, 11:24 AM

My theory was that a quick call on the turn in your situation always spells a draw of some sort. That's a tough call on the end for you, well done.
Old 12-27-2005, 11:27 AM

"as far as what it means, enon told me once i have a tell in live play. we were playing 40/80 and after the session he said that when i "quick call" the turn i intend to fold the river. meaning that my quick call was meant to stop a river bluff b/c iw anted to see a SD but not for another bet."

this is exactly what my friend meant by the quick call, because if JDags bet the river after I quick called, he always had it, therefore I could fold ..
Old 12-27-2005, 11:32 AM

not really well done, as I felt like the biggest fish ever paying off his small PP.
Old 12-27-2005, 11:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
"as far as what it means, enon told me once i have a tell in live play. we were playing 40/80 and after the session he said that when i "quick call" the turn i intend to fold the river. meaning that my quick call was meant to stop a river bluff b/c iw anted to see a SD but not for another bet."

this is exactly what my friend meant by the quick call, because if JDags bet the river after I quick called, he always had it, therefore I could fold ..

[/ QUOTE ]

im saying that for me, if i had it i WOULDNT have quick called. as in a quick call for me = not a river betting hand and if i did bet the river after quick calling it would be a bluff. if i was gunna bet the river id just normally call...at least thats what enon's description of me implies imo.

personally, i wouldn't base river decisinos on speed of action tells w/o prior experience with THAT PLAYER and that tell.

Barron
Old 12-27-2005, 11:57 AM

Is this online or live?

To me the 'quick call' means you had the check/call button clicked. Meaning you weren't going to bet it.

This would give him more incentive to bet the river not less IMO.
Old 12-27-2005, 12:04 PM

Well, I think that's one of Guifre's 'coin flips' he's always squawking about, so 'well done' meant congratulations, not necessarily that I had your true odds calculated down to the fifth decimal place and you made the 'proper' play. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-27-2005, 04:01 PM

Default you know you\'ve made it \"Big Time\" when ....

TSP references you in his replies ...

"Well, I think that's one of Guifre's 'coin flips' he's always squawking about"
Old 12-27-2005, 06:53 PM

dcifr, i think you are totally not understanding nomar here.