Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2005, 05:21 AM

Default Has anyone read \"Kill Phil\"?

Hi

Has anyone already read "Kill Phil: The Fast Track to Success in No-Limit Hold 'em Poker Tournaments" by Blair Rodman and Lee Nelson and cares to review or comment?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0929712...ks&v=glance

Thanks indeed
Old 11-11-2005, 11:54 AM

Default Re: Has anyone read \"Kill Phil\"?

Yes I have read it, although not in depth. I usually will read a book thru once then go back and study it. After reading thru it the first time I felt out of breath. The book seems to be centered around going all-in. As often as you can but only under certain circumstances. So it will take some real studying of the book to remember when.
I could be wrong and maybe I really don't understand what the book is really trying to tell me, like I said, I just read it thru once. I'm sure if you study it and understand it, it will give you another weapon in your arsenal.
Old 11-11-2005, 12:54 PM

I glanced through it in a bookstore. The thought that kept coming up as I browsed through it was that it is just different versions of Mr. Sklansky's "System".

Beginner strategy, intermediate, etc. but, all stemming from the "System's" basic premise.

I didn't purchase it, it seemed pretty lame.
Old 11-11-2005, 02:13 PM

are you kingjanaka on party?
if so, youve knocked me out of more big MTTs than anyone else (except for that SOB lordhutty).
Old 11-11-2005, 02:21 PM

No, I am not "kingjanaka"
Old 11-11-2005, 02:38 PM

The point of "Kill Phil" is that it is a strategy to compete against fields where you would otherwise be an underdog, like the WSoP. The theory is that a strategy in which most of your moves are "all-in" may not be the best strategy, but it doesn't give up much to the field, and is very hard to defend, especially by the best. It's probably a good strategy to autoplay tournaments, and it works pretty well.

In my opinion, most people on this site wouldn't want to use it until they reach Harrington's "Orange Zone". The philosophy is that you want to avoid small confrontations when you and others have big stacks under the assumption that if you are using this book, that your opponent is a better post-flop player than you. If that's not the case, you probably don't want to use it.