Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2005, 05:10 PM

Default Re: Flop decision: good or bad choice? Why?

I hated this example in the book and I hate it here.

I'm sure 3-bets is the right play in this situation. But this exact situation has to have everything working for it:
* You're in position to get a free card
* There was a PF raise from the SB so he's got an A a large percent of the time.
* It's a relatively drawless board (except for yours).
* It's likely that a pair of aces will win the hand.
* All your draws add up to enough outs to call 2 bets.

Basically, they picked out an example that is on the fringe. The vast majority of the time that you're faced with two bets and two people left to act and all you have are long-shot draws, 3-betting is a horrible play. IMO, most players would be better off without this example muddying up their thought processes during the game.
Old 05-23-2005, 05:36 PM

Default Re: Flop decision: good or bad choice? Why?

Answer: Reraise! Individually, each of your draws is weak. Taken together, however, you have a relatively robust hand with decent winning chances. Getting 8 to 1, folding is clearly wrong. The pot is almost big enough that you would call with only a gutshot. You are just under 11 to 1 to complete your straight on the turn. In a pot this big, if you make your straight, your opponents are almost certain to pay you off for several BB. Since you should probably call with just a gutshot, you should definitely play with your gutshot, overcard, and backdoor flush draw. Thus, the only question is whether you should call or reraise. Reraising has two important advantages over calling:

1. If you reraise, the small blind might fold a better ace. Since he raised preflop, he could easily have a hand like AQ or AJ. If he folds, it could buy you two more outs. For only one more bet, even with those weak hands, he will probably call. For two bets, he might fold.

2. Since you have the button, reraising could buy a free card on the turn. If you do not improve, you should almost certainly take it if you get it. The player who raised this raggy flop likely has a king. Do not expect him to fold.

Small Stakes Hold 'em, Flop Play quiz #7 (This is my favorite hand in the book, btw).

EDIT: On the fly, I would probably just call in this situation. The whole advantages of reraising part wouldn't ever come to mind if I was actually playing a similar hand.