Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-18-2005, 06:58 PM

Default <Insert Big Pig song title here>

<font color="blue">There's nothing worse than getting suckered into a hand. This table hadn't been all that scary until now, but this hand caused me to bleed chips all over creation. Can I find a fold here somewhere?

Dramatis Personae:

<font color="red">TAA</font> is 15% VPIP, 7% PFR, 3.82 AvgAgg, mostly on the turn, after 241 hands.
<font color="red">SLPP</font> is 26% VPIP, 2% PFR, 1.67 AvgAgg, mostly on the river, after 211 hands.</font>

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Pokey is MP2 with 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Pokey posts a blind of $2.
UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 <font color="#A500AF">(SLPP)</font> raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Pokey (poster) calls, MP3 calls, <font color="#CC3333">CO <font color="#A500AF">(TAA)</font> 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG caps</font>, UTG+1 <font color="#A500AF">(SLPP)</font> calls, Pokey calls, MP3 calls, CO <font color="#A500AF">(TAA)</font> calls.

<font color="blue">Trapped between bettors, each call seemed right at the time. The first bet gave me 5.5:1 immediate odds with several more potential callers. When the betting came back capped, I was getting an implied 19.5:2 or almost 10:1 on my call. Knowing that the odds of hitting a set are about 7.5:1, this call seemed even easier than the first one. Of course, if I had known at the beginning that it would cost me three more bets to see the flop, I'd have dumped it up front.</font>

Flop: (21.50 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">SLPP bets</font>, Pokey calls, MP3 calls, <font color="#CC3333">TAA raises</font>, UTG calls, SLPP calls, Pokey calls, MP3 calls.

<font color="blue">First flop bet gives me 22.5:1 on a 22:1 draw, with several possible callers behind me and implied odds to boot. Peeling one off seems correct. Unfortunately, TAA also pretends to like this ragged flop. If SLPP had made it three I could have folded here, but when it comes back to me for only one more, I am again right to call.</font>

Turn: (15.75 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
UTG checks, SLPP checks, Pokey checks, MP3 checks, TAA checks.

<font color="blue">Now I lack the odds to call even one bet; surprisingly, I don't GET even one bet. Free river card.</font>

River: (15.75 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">SLPP bets</font>, Pokey folds, MP3 calls, TAA calls, UTG folds.

Final Pot: 18.75 BB

<font color="blue">Easiest river fold ever. Even with 50:1 odds, I'd fold this one -- MHING, guaranteed.</font>
Old 05-18-2005, 07:57 PM

Default Re: <Insert Big Pig song title here>

If you're looking for a fold, folding on the flop seems fine for the first bet. You've got a very aggressive player behind you that 3-bet preflop. Even though it was capped, he's raising most of his possible holdings here.

Either way, I don't think calling was bad. You'll get paid off infinite if you hit.