Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-05-2005, 03:47 PM

Default When do you try an isolation reraise preflop?

Nate's post about cold calling got me thinking about the isolation reraise move.

If someone open raises and it's folded to me, I will very frequently try an isolation reraise if I've got ANY pocket pair. The higher the opener's PFR%, the more likely I'll try this. My feelings on this are:

1. I've got position on the opponent.
2. Any pair against two overcards is a coin-flip situation by the river, and I'm heavily favored to be in front on the flop.
3. There's dead money in the pot from the blinds.

If someone cold calls three, that really stinks, so I won't try this if the blinds are especially loose, but if I think I can get heads-up, I'll take this shot very frequently.

How high must the opener's PFR% be for this line of thinking to make sense? Obviously, position matters here, too; if the opener raised from CO, he's far less likely to have a great hand than if he raised from UTG. I'm just curious if people think this is a good weapon to have in your arsenal, and if it should be used often or rarely.
Old 05-05-2005, 04:13 PM

Default Re: When do you try an isolation reraise preflop?

This is a play I use a lot. IMO people don't 3-bet their pocket pairs often enough. (side note to all: saying "pockets" when you mean a PP is horribly lame)

I dont have any hard and fast rules about what PFR I 3-bet a mid PP, but I certainly wouldnt do it vs like a 21/3 type player.

Also... there are times I would 3-bet an UTG+1 raise from the CO that I wouldnt from MP2, because the probability of getting it heads up has changed. You didnt mention that (I dont think) in the OP, but I would guess that you knew it.
Old 05-05-2005, 04:17 PM

Default Re: When do you try an isolation reraise preflop?

I do this only occasionally, when the table is fairly weak tight.