Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-12-2005, 11:43 PM

Default Do you make this deal in heads up tourney?

Final table of heads up tourney- $1228 left in prize pool. He asks to chop, which would have been $614 a piece. I say I am the favorite so I want more. He offers $650 I ask for $675 he says no. Would you have taken $650?

A few minutes later when support got there so we could talk it over I had build a chip lead: I had like 125,000 he had about 70,000. He offered $675 and I said I needed more. Would you have taken this one? Pretend you are a favorite with this chip lead, how do you calculate if the chop is worth it?
Old 03-13-2005, 01:38 AM

Default Re: Do you make this deal in heads up tourney?

Well if you're even skill you'd need about 65% or around $810 - if you're a favorite you'd need more. Of course if second place gets something that makes the calculations a little bit more complicated
Old 03-13-2005, 02:20 AM

an exact figure is not measurable in this thread without more numbers from you. understanding how to answer this question shouldn't at all be difficult for you. actually answering it is another thing. intuitively calculate your ROI against a headsup matchup with this player. if you feel that you have a 60/40 edge, then you need slightly more than a 60/40 prize split in order for it to be profitable. if you want to reduce variance then you can accept a smaller difference. ive offered some really fair deals to players who i must have had a 75% ROI against, simply because i felt that reducing variance was worth more to me than the extra ev was.
Old 03-17-2005, 07:58 AM

If you and your opponent are even in skill the calculation from TAP? or was it GTOT would put your equity at 125/195 of the difference of the value between first and second added to the value of second place. Your opponent would receive the remainder 70/195 times the value of the difference between 1st and 2nd plus 2nd place money. By the by from what I have read once the ante+blinds get significant relative to the stacks your EV advantage becomes small compared to variance since you are compelled to fight for the blinds+ante and can't wait very long for a good hand. This algorithm seems to be close when HU or with all players with close to the same size stacks but if applied to a multiplayer situation with varied stacks sizes seems to break down. The low stack always get screwed so generally won't deal unless he gets a sweetener from the large stack/s to represent the fact that getting lucky and moving up one or more places represents a huge gain versus making a deal.