Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-12-2005, 12:42 PM

Default Re: have freind with drug problem... it\'s really scaring me. help? in

[ QUOTE ]

Seriously, people go to prison for years and come back out and start using heroin/cock/crack/etc... again.

[/ QUOTE ] [/b]

you use cock. DON'T YA CRAIG!
Old 12-12-2005, 12:57 PM

Default Re: have freind with drug problem... it\'s really scaring me. help? info?

I feel for you. You want to be a friend, but the other party is making it damn near impossible for you to be a friend. Until your friend realizes she needs help there is little you can do.

AA and similar programs are what she needs. You will not be able to stop her on your own, she has to want to stop before you will be able to make a real difference. Did she assigned a sponsor in AA. If so, find her sponsor and try to get the sponsor to help you.

As is stands now, it sounds like you will be able to win a few battles, but the war will rage on until she decides it needs to stop. I wish I could give you the magic bullet to solve this, but there isn't one. Just be the best friend you know how to be, it sounds like she will need one soon. Good luck.
Old 12-12-2005, 01:03 PM

Default Re: have freind with drug problem... it\'s really scaring me. help? info?

OP,
I think you need to go to AA, or Al-anon, and seek help from them. I would assume that they are the best ones to help you help her.
Hoping everything turns out well,
Guids
Old 12-12-2005, 01:12 PM

Simply put she needs a drug counselor someone who understands addiction and such. Help your friend find a good one and hope time helps.
Old 12-12-2005, 01:13 PM

Your friend sounds like she's in bad, bad shape. I don't think that kind of person just wakes up one day and decides to stop, or generally has the willpower to go cold turkey after an intervention. When getting clean means staying sober for two or three days, and the way she celebrates is to go off on another bender, then the only way you can even hope to turn it around is to be forced sober for an extended period. It sounds to me like you need to convince her to go into rehab and dry out for a couple weeks (at least) somewhere. I know that costs money, but I don't see another solution.
Old 12-12-2005, 03:09 PM

As someone who just realized they were on the bottom with alcohol, I can say you really can't do much. I kinda think some people could have told me I was [censored] up but I still probably wouldn't have listened. Once I realized how bad I was though, I needed someone to talk to about it and agree to do things with me every now and then when everyone else was drinking. With that support I can again have a beer or two during the game or whatever and drop it.

You can only watch that she doesn't kill herself and then be the person there for her. If you see her sober, drop hints about someone else that does too many drugs.
Old 12-12-2005, 03:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The OP's best bet would likely be some type of "intervention,"

[/ QUOTE ]

errr, I dunno dude. I've heard (and it seems reasonable) that interventions have a very low success rate and they're actually more so that the intervenors can feel like they've done all they can. I really can't imagine this girl reacting positively to an intervention after what happened when OP confronted her last time.

[/ QUOTE ]

I never said I thought that an "intervention" would be successful--just possibly the OP's best bet for trying to shake some sense into her. And "intervention" does not have to be anything more formal than the OP (and maybe one or two other friends) having a straight talk with the addict about their care and concern for her well-being.
Old 12-12-2005, 03:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It is OK to realize that you have the right to emotionally divest yourself from her at this time.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have the right to walk away, sure... I'm won't, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Emotionally divesting yourself is not the same as walking away. The former simply means that you accept that you have no control over her behavior, and you begin training yourself to not be emotionally affected by it. However, you can still be her friend--although when you get down to it, it is very difficult to be in a real friendship with someone living your friend's lifestyle.
Old 12-12-2005, 03:18 PM

A a close family member of mine went through some pretty rough [censored]. He was put in Rehab for a long time...a couple months I think. He came out, clean. He had one relapse, but thats been it.

Find a good Rehab clinic, and get her in
Old 12-12-2005, 03:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Find a good Rehab clinic, [insert details of nearly impossible, heretofore unknown course of action], and get her in

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP