Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2005, 08:11 PM

Default Re: Hand from Bellagion 5 Diamond

[ QUOTE ]
Firstly, she folded KK on a dry board before. Secondly, gigabet has been playing passively against her before and they have mutual respect for eachother. Third, they the two bigstacks on the table.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just because she folded KK on a dry board before, doesn't mean she's going to fold AA, or TPTK, here.

[ QUOTE ]
Tell me what would be your way to uncover what she might be holding? The stacks arent deep enough for this, and gigabet chose a good percentage play that would win him a lot of chips quite often.

[/ QUOTE ]

If gigabet wants to represent a hand that beats AA, that beats TPTK, and make it seem like he "obviously" has it, do his actions really paint that piture? Would he have really played A6, 22, AA, or any other hand that has her beat the way he did preflop? Isn't that the issue? He thinks she'll fold AA and AK, but why?

I am not criticizing gigabet here. I've tried many times to execute plays like this in crucial spots/big pots in tournaments and then gone back to realize the way I set up the play didn't make enough sense to work. I think this is one of those spots where his combined actions don't work together well enough to get villain off of the hands gigabet thinks she will fold.

I believe there are problems with the hand that run deeper than, Oops, I ran into the nuts.
Old 12-15-2005, 08:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If gigabet wants to represent a hand that beats AA, that beats TPTK, and make it seem like he "obviously" has it, do his actions really paint that piture? Would he have really played A6, 22, AA, or any other hand that has her beat the way he did preflop?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, he is certainly capable of playing 56s 67s A6 etc like this pf.
Old 12-15-2005, 08:19 PM

"Date / Time: 2005-12-14 13:17:00
Title: New Chip Leader -- Darrell "Gigabet" Dicken Doubles Through Patrik Antonius
Log: Darrell "Gigabet" Dicken raises preflop, Patrik Antonius reraises, and Dicken calls. The flop comes Js-7d-5d, Dicken bets out, and after a long period of thought, Antonius moves all in. Dicken immediately calls with 7c-5h (two pair). Antonius shows Kd-Jd (pair of jacks, flush draw), and he has a ton of outs to win this hand. The turn card is the 9h, and the river is the As. Antonius fails to improve, and Darrell Dicken doubles up in the biggest pot of the tournament to about $885,000 in chips. "

I think there are a lot of hands with a 6 thats in Gigas preflop range here.
Old 12-15-2005, 08:20 PM

But why risk 80% of your stack when you have such a healthy chip position? I think the tournament situation should determine for a player not to attempt this. Even if she only calls w/ KK or 66 etc...
Old 12-15-2005, 08:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay great. So what is she betting the flop and calling on the turn with?

Didnt gigabet say that the unspoken dynamic between the two of them was "I know u know that when I bet, I have it. We have too much to lose to be messing around."? I think I recall reading that.

Well, he can't have it both ways. When she re-raises him preflop, she's saying "I have a hand." When she bets the flop, she is saying "I have a hand." And when she smooth calls the turn, there is a good chance she is now saying "Okay, so you want to bluff off a bunch of chips to me? Be my guest." Meanwhile, gigabet isn't really holding up his end of the conversation.

Ricky Grivalja said something great in his WPT interview a couple years ago. (I'm paraphrasing) "You need to do everything you possibly can to win every hand but also realize when you can no longer win the hand." At some point, giga may have wanted to consider that.
Old 12-15-2005, 08:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay great. So what is she betting the flop and calling on the turn with?

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you asking this question again? AA-JJ AK
Old 12-15-2005, 08:35 PM

Roman, I will concede that if JJ Liu folds everything but KK and 66, this is a great play.

In the real world, she calls with a lot more than that.
Old 12-15-2005, 08:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Roman, I will concede that if JJ Liu folds everything but KK and 66, this is a great play.

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you know that? These are two bigstacks with respect for eachother showing lots of strength, can you at least admit its possible for her to fold AK here?
Old 12-15-2005, 08:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If gigabet wants to represent a hand that beats AA, that beats TPTK, and make it seem like he "obviously" has it, do his actions really paint that piture? Would he have really played A6, 22, AA, or any other hand that has her beat the way he did preflop?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I am anywhere near not as good a player as Gigabet and am not a LAG. I am not that good at figuring out opponent's psychology, but when I bluff I want to represent something that I could reasonably have that has what I think my opponent(s) has beat.

Now the way JJ played this hand, it is likely she has AK or JJ-AA. What is Gigabet representing? He could have a 6 the way he plays, but it is not likely, particularly considering there are 2 of them on the board. He could have AK, KK, or AA, but there is a good chance he would have put in a 3rd raise preflop with those hands.

It is sort of like reasonable doubt for a jury. She could be beaten, but it is not likely enough that she is going to fold.

JJ is presumably a professional player who plays major tournaments regularly. She may be weak/tight, but she is not that weak/tight to make a fold likely.
Old 12-15-2005, 08:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you know that? These are two bigstacks with respect for eachother showing lots of strength, can you at least admit its possible for her to fold AK here?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll gladly admit it's possible for her to fold AK if you admit it's ALSO possible for her to Gracz him with, say, QQ.

In the short time that I've been playing these big buyin events, I've seen all kindsa stuff.