Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2005, 08:24 PM

Default 66 live 5-5 500 max buy in turn bet

5-5 500 max buy in live game just okay game. i have around $500 and so do most of the players. i limp w/ red 66 after one limper, a bunch of guys limp, the button makes it $15, blinds call, i think about making it like $150 but just call, everyone calls. 7 of us. no big reads on anyone, except to say this is not an all-in every other hand sort of table, it's mostly younger guys trying to play tight and decent. i have done nothing they wouldve seen except raised a preflop raiser on the flop $200 once and folded when he put me all in.

the flop is 8s3s2c. sb checks, bb bets $20, folded to me and i call, 2 more players call including the button, and sb who looks like he's about 12 says "im pretty sure i have the best hand guys, i dont know why im just calling" before he calls.

the turn is 5h. checked to me and i bet $140.

comments?
Old 09-26-2005, 08:35 PM

Default Re: 66 live 5-5 500 max buy in turn bet

I can't decide if I like the call on the flop.

On the one hand...
There are like scare 10289 cards that can hit on the turn, and make you fold your hand. Furthermore, a raise here has good potential for folding a lot of hands that are already better than ours, or have a buttload of outs against us.

On the other hand, we have the PFR behind us who raised after a bunch of limpers, and likely has a good hand, but we can't yet know what he has. If he does have a big pair, he will almost certainly raise here, and we can dump without investing much.

Mostly, I think that we need to raise the flop here, if we're going to continue.
Old 09-26-2005, 08:36 PM

Oh, turn bet looks good, maybe a little closer to the pot would be better.

SB probably has crap (maybe an 8 with an average kicker). I can't see him not raising with a set or two pair on the flop after that action.

Nobody else showed any strength, and they are probably drawing.
Old 09-26-2005, 08:50 PM

"im pretty sure i have the best hand guys, i dont know why im just calling"

This is a classic line from a pussy who's looking to get blown off his hand. He doesn't like it at all and is looking for you guys to check it down or something - You should always blow this kid up.
Old 09-26-2005, 09:47 PM

raise or fold on the flop, anything else is chip spewing, against this group (from what it sounds) raising might even be chip spewing.
Old 09-26-2005, 10:43 PM

I really really like folding this flop.

Ryan
Old 09-27-2005, 02:31 AM

with so many seeing the flop i dont think i would want to put much more money in this pot. but since you did the 140 is a good bet as long as they arent good enough to know you will dump it if they raise.
Old 09-27-2005, 05:07 AM

Fold the flop.
Old 09-27-2005, 01:44 PM

Default result and comments

first off a lot of people said fold the flop but no one went into detail as to why. i called because: my hand may be best, and for a pot no one has show real strength in it's getting decent sized. there's a nice chance of it getting checked around on the turn and river even when im against an 8 just because everyone at the table seems to be making a really big hand. since everyone's waiting to make a really good hand there's a willingness on the part of most players to believe the first person to make a sizeable bet might have caught that big hand they were waiting for; that is to say i can possibly grab the pot on the turn or river. so folding the flop just didnt seem right considering it only cost me $20 (of course it couldve been raised behind me, but if button had a big pair or something he wouldve raised much more preflop as is the standard for the game here, people try to clear out most of the field with big pairs).

all that said: i bet the $140 and everyone folded (like 5 or 6 players!). sb showed his hand to his neighbor while folding who confirmed for me he had Q8. they all muttered about how i must have the straight.
Old 09-27-2005, 02:23 PM

Default Re: result and comments

[ QUOTE ]
first off a lot of people said fold the flop but no one went into detail as to why. i called because: my hand may be best,

[/ QUOTE ]

Even if it is best, collectively against 5 other players it won't be by the river, hence raise flop.