Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics

Old 12-19-2005, 03:32 PM

Default Re: UCLA study concludes left wing bias in media is legit

Who decides what is center?

The NAACP is not a left wing organization. That is like saying everyone to the left of David Duke is a liberal.
Old 12-19-2005, 03:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
READ THE [censored] ARTICLE!
Old 12-19-2005, 03:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, why some think tanks were considered liberal, while others conservative, was not included in the explanation of the methodology (at least from what I read).

It's clearly an important component of the study; I think it's clear what column to put the Heritage Foundation and AEI into, and conversely, what column to put the Center for American Progress into -- but I'd be curious how the study dealt with the Cato Institute and the Brookings Institution, for instance, as neither has a particular partisan bent. And I'm definitely hesitant to call the NAACP a think tank.

Either way, I have some disagreements with placing altogether too much weight on how often networks cite think tanks -- but I don't find it an absolutely useless measure, either.
Old 12-19-2005, 04:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh yes, read the article, but don't have any critical thoughts while you do so. Just accept it like a good sheeple.

You aren't a christian fundamentalist by any chance, are you?
Old 12-19-2005, 04:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
After adjustments to compensate for disproportionate representation that the Senate gives to low‑population states and the lack of representation for the District of Columbia, the average ADA score in Congress (50.1) was assumed to represent the political position of the average U.S. voter.

Groseclose and Milyo then directed 21 research assistants — most of them college students — to scour U.S. media coverage of the past 10 years. They tallied the number of times each media outlet referred to think tanks and policy groups, such as the left-leaning NAACP or the right-leaning Heritage Foundation.

Next, they did the same exercise with speeches of U.S. lawmakers. If a media outlet displayed a citation pattern similar to that of a lawmaker, then Groseclose and Milyo's method assigned both a similar ADA score.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think there are a lot of problems with this method.

I don't doubt that journalists, especially print journalists and broadcast news journalists, tend to have left-leaning politics in general. But there is a lot more to the political orientation of a news outlet than who you cite. What you cover is probably the biggest issue.
Old 12-19-2005, 04:08 PM

One of the ways the media shows it leans to the left, is when something tragic happens to a black person, women, etc. The first group the media interviews are the ones that lean way to the left, NAACP, NOW, etc, for insite and dialogue on the event. In fact I dare ask anyone to name (R) black organizations. My belief is that the media leans to the left, especially the print media. I saw a poll of journalists that about 70% voted for the (D) ticket. That in itself is not grounds for biasesness, but would you still believe that were true if it were reversed.
Old 12-19-2005, 04:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh yes, read the article, but don't have any critical thoughts while you do so. Just accept it like a good sheeple.

[/ QUOTE ]

doubt it
Old 12-19-2005, 04:16 PM

"My belief is that the media leans to the left"
Does this belief come from am talk radio by any chance?

"In fact I dare ask anyone to name (R) black organizations."
http://bushniggas.ytmnd.com/
Old 12-19-2005, 04:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Is that what I said? The article explains its metrics and where they got them. If you and fold preflop had read the whole article, you would have seen that.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
no
Old 12-19-2005, 04:26 PM

Default Let\'s look at their method

[ QUOTE ]
They tallied the number of times each media outlet referred to think tanks and policy groups, such as the left-leaning NAACP or the right-leaning Heritage Foundation.

[/ QUOTE ] This is IMHO a deeply flawed criterion.

Suppose I write an article that's starting from a decidedly "leftist" point of view and is extremely critical of the Bush government. Suppose further that the point of the article is to refute, through logic and facts, the arguments of the Bush administration about Iraq. In my article I will use only citations from conservative, pro-Bush sources, the very ones that propagate those arguments, and I will also use "hard" data & facts from neutral sources, such as History.com or the CIAfactbook.com, to refute them.

Well, according to the UCLA criterion, my article would have been classified as ultra-conservative!

Which is why they found Matt Drudge to be ...a lefty! [ QUOTE ]
Our data for the Drudge Report was based almost entirely on the articles that the Drudge Report lists on other Web sites. Very little was based on the stories that Matt Drudge himself wrote.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lastly, the UCLA study found the news pages of The Wall Street Journal to be "a little to the left of the average American Democrat", on the basis of think tanks and news sources that the WSJ is citing. But could it be simply that the Wall Street Journal is using what it considers as being the more reputable and reliable sources - for its news reportage?