Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2005, 07:22 AM

Default Re: Hands I Present Thee, Three. Help ME.

[ QUOTE ]
1) Why bother raising from EP with something like AQ and not make some type of a continuation bet, particularly when the flop is as favorable as it comes without actually making a pair?

[/ QUOTE ]
The 9-5-3 flop isn't really so favourable to AQ here, because on these stack sizes, whatever the opponent called with preflop is still going to look good enough to peel a card, usually, against a continuation bet.

I think checking the flop, with the intention of calling, is fine.

But when opponent checks behind on the flop, we should bet the turn.
Old 12-14-2005, 11:53 AM

I must have looked at this 3 times and saw A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] not A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. So I would still most likely C-bet. And I'd definitely lead the turn.
Old 12-14-2005, 11:59 AM

1) Bet flop and turn. Fold to raise.

2) Reraise PF to isolate. Flop: probably fold.

3) Might be a coinflip or a steal by button. I prefer pushing with JJ than calling with it. Only 3 hands are favored over you. I'm tempted to call.
Old 12-14-2005, 12:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1. c-bet it you little girl.
2. why the limp? raiiiiise that. w/ the limp, yea just toss it.
3. Call.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah - what he said! With special emphasis on number one. You have to CBet here - everytime.

I would also add - tough three hands in a row! Those are typically the hards hands to play correctly (AQ and JJ) and you got them in a row. I hope your last all in went well, and the hands got a bit easier for you after that!
Old 12-14-2005, 12:25 PM

Lets talk about hand 1.

I'm UTG+2, and my opponent seemed on the somewhat tight side. Lets just say I was making an effort to pay attention, and I was surprised by his cc of my raise. I believe he is a thinking player, although its hard to say this early, in a tourney that has lots of juicy satelliters in it.

One of the things that has been bothering me is in this situation, I whiff the flop. I put his range for CC'ing me to a pocket pair, or AQ and up. I suppose you could include some suited connectors. So, this flop was MUCH more likely to have improved his holdings than mine.

A week ago, I would have auto-pushed out a bet of T100 or so. But, I've been analyzing my game, especially in the party 150's, and it seems like I'm losing alot of $$ to missed flops OOP where I continuation bet, and get called. So, I just bet 1/10th my stack, and to the turn we go, where I miss one of my 6 outs. Now what?

I will agree that I should have bet the turn. Once he checked behind, I think betting out is reasonable.

I think the factors that made this a GOOD candidate for no continuation bet:

1. It would essentially have to be close to 1/10th my stack.
2. I'm OOP
3. Opponent CC'd my raise, and is fairly tight.

Thoughts?

Nick

p.s. I had enough by the third JJ hand, called the allin figuring that more times than not, I was going to be shown Ax (AJ or higher) and 77 through TT, many more times than QQ through AA. He has AK. I'm happy. Then unhappy.
Old 12-14-2005, 12:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
my opponent seemed on the somewhat tight side. Lets just say I was making an effort to pay attention, and I was surprised by his cc of my raise. I believe he is a thinking player, although its hard to say this early, in a tourney that has lots of juicy satelliters in it.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a little more info than:

[ QUOTE ]
No good info on villian in this hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now I think checking is reasonable for exactly the reasons you mentioned. I also have been thinking about c-bets from OOP and whether or not they've been profitable. I haven't come to any conclusions but on a ragged flop I find that most people think I've got Ax and missed when they have a pair, so they call. Of course, this is good to know when I have an overpair or better. I think I'm going to start keeping track of c-bets and see if I can get a decent sample size that provides more info.
Old 12-14-2005, 12:38 PM

Yah. Whoops.

I started thinking more about the hand, went back and reread the HH.

And I was 3-tabling limit tables at the time. Oh, I wish I had ADD.

Nick
Old 12-14-2005, 02:05 PM

1) I don't mind the fold. You can find a better spot against a player who will overbet. Your hand looks like a whiffed big ace played passively which is fine but goes directly to your image.

2) I'd push PF. Even without a read the two underraises look like poor attempts to isolate. It may look like an overbet, but I can't credit either player for KK,QQ with the small raise. That leaves AA, and a wide range of hands for both villains most of which have an ace in them. Hero probably has the best hand, doesn't want to see the flop and doesn't want to play it 3 ways (with a smaller raise). ATF I'd fold after playing it for set value.

3) I'd call. Hero is behind a traditional range of TT++,AK (not getting sufficient pot odds -> EV-), but I think there is a good chance that there is another overcall by either pairs less than JJ or overs which would make hero EV+++.