Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-2005, 04:04 AM

Default Why are Americans so religious?

I don't understand how Americans have come to be such bible thumping freaks. I just read this story about a dude who lost his $25,000 lottery ticket and all of a sudden it was about religion.

He says, ""I was thinking that God just took it out of my hand."
When I read this I thought it was a somewhat normal thing to say. I mean how else do you lose a $25,000 ticket. But then quickly I realized this guy actually thought that "God" did this.

Then I learned how retarded the guy was.
'He even called 911 and asked firefighters to shine lights on the search area.'

But his last line is what really made me pissed off/humored.
"I think God was telling me ... that I need to be dependent on Him and not on lotteries and jobs and anything else."

Sort your life out buddy. Be dependent on yourself. Don't be dependent on God or lotto.

I don't know how Americans got to be this way. Why didn't Canadians become bible-thumping retards?
Old 12-13-2005, 04:15 AM

Default Re: Why are Americans so religious?

hahahahahah, I just read it again and noticed something I didn't originally.

The guy who finds his ticket goes home to his wife and says 'Look, Jesus gave us a $25,000 ticket'

Jesus didn't give you [censored] you fool.
Old 12-13-2005, 04:48 AM

as compared to the rest of the world??? i guess we americans are somewhat loud and abnoxious when it comes to religion.. ("THANK YOU JESUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" etc.) but it's my guess that if any group would be conquered for the side of no religion, american's would be first... the american people are very weak willed when it comes to religion and dispite religious people saying that the new generations have increasing numbers of jesus lovers, i'm pretty sure we (and most of the west) are becoming even more secular (or non-secular...which one am i looking for?)
Old 12-13-2005, 04:56 AM

America was founded by and is mostly populated by crazy Protestants. These are the captian insano bible freaks you see in the news and since the country is something like 75% Protestant or so they get a lot of air time saying insane things.

Not to mention rating our movies and censoring our music, God damn Puritanical prudes!
Old 12-13-2005, 04:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nomination for best post. I just spat up my drink [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-13-2005, 04:25 PM

Sounds like you are Canadian, which using your logic begs the question: Why do all Canadians always make gross generalizations about other cultures based on ridiculously small sample-sizes?
Old 12-13-2005, 04:57 PM

"I pledge allegiance, to the flag, of the United States of America, and to the republic, for which it stands, one nation, <u>under God</u>, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

P.S. I know when that phrase was added.

Edit: P.S.S. Oh yeah, I forgot to add: MANIFEST DESTINY.
Old 12-13-2005, 06:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sounds like you are Canadian, which using your logic begs the question: Why do all Canadians always make gross generalizations about other cultures based on ridiculously small sample-sizes?

[/ QUOTE ]

small sample size? over half of your voting population doesn't sound small to me.
Old 12-13-2005, 06:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nomination for best post. I just spat up my drink [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree... it can be used in nearly any religious discussion [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-13-2005, 07:26 PM

There are many wackos in America, I'll admit. But I hope you have more sense than to think the average American is even remotely like that guy in the OP. Most americans believe in god (94% apparently) but its a small percentage who actually pay much attention to the bible, and most of them live in the middle of nowhere.

Also, Bush wasn't voted in strictly for moral reasons. I'm not sure what the reasons were, exactly, but...