Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-10-2005, 02:20 AM

Default Blind battle

Online, 5 handed

The Button just sat down a couple orbits ago but he seems like he might play okay. He showed down a couple decent hands and has played those pretty agressively.

It's folded the Button and he raises. SB folds, I call in the BB w/ Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].

Flop is 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

How do we want to go from here?

What if:

1. We check-raise and he 3-bets?

2. We ghey bet and he raises?

3. We miss on the turn?

4. We catch on the river?

(I realize the answers to 3 and 4 might be different depending on how prior events, but try to humor me if you can.)
Old 12-10-2005, 02:25 AM

Default Re: Blind battle

I usually c/r this flop, although I'd consider making it 3 preflop. We have more semibluff power with a c/r and lead than we do by donking. We also have a huge draw, so we don't mind calling a 3bet all that much.
Old 12-10-2005, 02:28 AM

c/r flop...call if 3bet...c/r when improved...ghey betting is too transparent, I highly doubt hes gonna fall for a bet/3bet trap...

Actually I don't mind attempting a bet/3bet line if you improve to a non-flush straight.
Old 12-10-2005, 02:49 AM

If I'm not 3-betting preflop with this then I'm checkraising any remotely decent flop, and this is a damned fine flop. I c/r, call a 3-bet, catch a K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] on the river and thank God I play at a site with a large Royal Flush bonus [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 12-10-2005, 03:01 AM

Since it's 5-handed and button is good enough to fold, I can understand the desire to get a little frisky with this hand.
Normally though, I'll just play this fish style with the check/call until I hit. I dunno, I just know when I get C/R'd on the flop in these blind battles I immediately think "draw".
Old 12-10-2005, 03:07 AM

I think I have to do something other than check/call to give him a chance to fold.

The consensus seems to be to check and raise, which is as good an option as any, and it's also what I would usually do in this spot.

However, when it was my turn I stopped to think about how I would feel if I was in the Button's spot with a hand like 88 and the BB bet this flop.

Anyway, that's why I posted it.

Are you guys never bet/calling in this situation?

Is it always check/raise or bet/3-bet?

What about the double-donk if you don't catch, or the double-donk/3-bet if you do?
Old 12-10-2005, 03:14 AM

Bet/Call? Double-Donk? These plays dont exist in my arsenal
Old 12-10-2005, 03:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think I have to do something other than check/call to give him a chance to fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't disagree - I was just saying I think most people habitually C/R this vs. anybody and I don't think that's right.
I bet/call sometimes. When I'm in villian's seat, donkbets seem to annoy me more than C/R's FWIW.
Old 12-10-2005, 06:51 AM

grunch...

1) we cap
2) we 3bet
3) we slow down... unless we have reason to believe we may have fold equity; such as he calls the flop checkraise
4) depends entirely on the action. if we got in a position to check/call the turn we can checkraise the river. if we led the turn we need to lead the river

Edit: I think we need to cap the flop for metagame considerations. against an aggressive player he aint gonna forget that you capped against him, whether you hit or not; and he aint attacking your blinds so lightly next time.