Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-08-2005, 04:03 AM

Default Re: 5/10 - I\'m confused on this one

[ QUOTE ]
What's he raising the turn with that you beat? His smooth call then raise the turn would have me worried. The fact that he openlimped in the CO leads me to believe he has the right cards to hit that flop. Did you think you had the best hand when you 3 bet the turn or were you trying to fold a better one? Couldn't you just get to showdown if you think there is a decent chance YHIG?

[/ QUOTE ]

he may be on a semi-bluff with a hand like JT, 67, or T7, and he also may have spades. although i wouldn't play it this way (starting with the open-limp) but lots of turkeys do.

the problem is if i put him on one of these hands no way should i be betting out on the river. i should let him continue to bluff and if he does have me beat i'm only paying the 1-bet i'm putting in anyways.

thoughts?
Old 12-08-2005, 04:05 AM

You think he's semibluffing here enough to 3bet? You said you don't have any reads. I tend not to put unkowns here on semibluffs or fancy plays. Why not just call the turn and C/C and see a showdown here? You get to see what he has and you may be good.
Old 12-08-2005, 04:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
he may be on a semi-bluff with a hand like JT, 67, or T7, and he also may have spades. although i wouldn't play it this way (starting with the open-limp) but lots of turkeys do.

the problem is if i put him on one of these hands no way should i be betting out on the river. i should let him continue to bluff and if he does have me beat i'm only paying the 1-bet i'm putting in anyways.

thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would think that if he was semi-bluffing one of these draws he would do it on the flop. Heads-up turn semi-bluff if pretty expensive + just seems dumb here. Sometimes you never know w/some idiots though. I don't like the river bet.
Old 12-08-2005, 04:13 AM

I think this is just typical of the aggression I play with. Basically I'm saying 'if you're gonna f around with me, i'll f around with you.' I don't know if it's justified or not but when he didn't cap the turn I felt I was good.

Also if I'm going to call, and then check-call the river I'm putting in 2 bets. If I 3-bet and then it's capped I should probably fold, however I'm not sure if I actually would, but I should. And what the equates to is the same amount of money lost.

The only difference is if he is on a draw then it won't be free. It also sends a message for the future.

thoughts?
Old 12-08-2005, 12:23 PM

I'm calling down after the weird turn raise.
Old 12-08-2005, 12:32 PM

The turn raise, in position usually means the guy either has a big hand or simply wants free showdown. Since he didn't cap it, I'm thinking the latter. As it stands, I think he showed you j9 for a rivered 2 pair. You played it fine.
Old 12-08-2005, 01:39 PM

It's near impossible to put the CO on a range of hands here. I think getting to showdown as cheap as possible and seeing what he shows down is the optimal play here.
Old 12-08-2005, 02:46 PM

HE may be semi-bluff raising with a draw flush, straight, or straight flush or some combination of the 2.

But when you go through all the things he could have, I don't think three-betting is worth it without some sort of a read of the player type that can help guide you in hand reading. Before you throw in the 3-bet the pot is 5BB.

A decent sized pot, but not really huge. If he is aggressive, he could be doing something with overcards or a a pocket pair. If he has overcards, I don't think it is the crime of the century to not three-bet to force a fold. 13% of the time he will draw out with overcards, but some of the time he will fire again on the river when he misses.. so he is not really getting off easy. With a flush or straight draw he will of course hit more frequently... but again there will be times he will fire after a miss.

I would like the three-bet with more information, but in a no reads situation I am calling down. I can see the argument for a river bet, but in this case I am really curious about his hand, I think there is a good chance he will bet sometimes with hands that we beat, I also really don't want to fold without seeing what he had. Because if he is FOS, it would be nice to know for the rest of the session. But most likely a normal/reasonable player is not raising this river with a hand we beat, so as you played it I dont like your river call.
Old 12-08-2005, 03:36 PM

it might sound too weak but I like folding the turn here.
1. Pot is relatively small
2. If he is poping a draw he would have done it on the flop
3. River is going to be tough.
Old 12-08-2005, 03:52 PM

Since you don't have a read on this player. I would call the turn raise down and gain some information.