Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2005, 06:16 PM

Default If I pretend to bet, I can see if their gonna call or not....

I stumbled on this last night, but I guess it is something we all know. Late in a $200 limit tourney I have K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] on the button. 7handed, and I has just folded in the SB on the previous hand when it was folded to me. It is folded to me again, this time I raise. SB calls.

Flop 4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
check, bet, call.

Turn: 3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
It can be difficult to figure the math on these bets and raises, so I am fumbling around with my chips trying to figure out how to make 3200 with 500 and 100 chips. I've got my stack almost ready for betting, and then I look up and SB already has his call in the pot. I check.

River: 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
SB bets, I fold.
Old 11-29-2005, 06:18 PM

Default Re: If I pretend to bet, I can see if their gonna call or not....

often there's a lot of posturing back in forth in these things. for example if somebody checks and then reaches for chips to call it is quite likely they are trying to intimidate you into not betting. As with anything else it comes down to reads in this spot.
Old 11-29-2005, 06:20 PM

my buddy Caro says strong means weak, and possibly this guy doesn't want you to bet. it all depends how much you believe he is sincere with his "call." if it looked like he just wasnt paying much attention and figured you would bet and was getting ready to call, your play is good.
Old 11-29-2005, 06:32 PM

Oh, his bet was already in the pot. He had to pull his chips back into his stack.

MLG you're right about the posturing, I always keep a call/bet/raise in my hand and reload every time I fire. In these limit events it is slightly different in that calls can actually beat bets into the pot. So much so that I sometimes want to ask, "OK, can I raise?"