Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications

Old 11-23-2005, 12:48 PM

Default Re: HPFAP or Weighing the Odds - which one first?

[ QUOTE ]
What in specific did you not like about it?

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess I was just looking into something a little more - well - advanced. From all the hype it sounded like it would be a mathematical-based look at hold 'em. There are some good parts to it (i.e. the Flop and Turn sections), but I was quite disappointed with the Shorthanded chapters and the first 100 pages of the book. It just seemed like TOP/SSHE with a few extra chapters inside it.

Now don't get me wrong - if I had the chance again I'd buy this book in a second. I think my expectations were just too high.
Old 11-24-2005, 05:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I have read SSH and I am rereading it now. I have read TOP and need to reread it, but I will wait a couple of months for that. I have HPFAP and Weighing the Odds on their way right now. Which of these two should I read first, given that I am currently playing 3/6 online?

Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would skip HPFAP, it's really not very well written or all that useful except for the section on shorthanded play. Ciaffone's Middle Limit Hold'em is much more useful.
Old 11-24-2005, 05:05 AM

For the limits you are playing, read Weighing the Odds. I was a little disapointed by it, but I found a lot of the concepts in HPFAP don't apply to the low limit online games