Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2005, 04:18 PM

Default A different question?

I don't mean to hijak your post but I think you got a lot of decent responses already so here goes.

What's the biggest pot in relation to the antes you've ever seen in a GUTS game? I played in a game with a $.25 ante and the biggest pot of the night was approximately $117 if I remember correctly.

Crazy...what about you guys?

JMB
Old 11-20-2005, 04:24 PM

Default Re: A different question?

how did the pot get that big?
Old 11-20-2005, 05:23 PM

Default Re: A different question?

Multiple losers, apparently.

@the OP: Yes, that's if a player has to match a pot and can't.
Old 11-20-2005, 06:15 PM

Default Re: Guts Tournament

[ QUOTE ]
If a player loses and has to match the pot but doesn't have enough chips he should be eliminated.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed.

[ QUOTE ]
However, unlike previously mentioned, I think he should get a hand for his all in. He should automatically be all in and if he wins he should get his chips back. If there were two losers he should only win his share of the others chips from the other players.

[/ QUOTE ]

This I'm not so sure about. Simply because once he's already lost all his chips, he's been eliminated and therefore cannot afford to ante.

FWIW, I would probably start each player with about 400 antes. The maximum 'match' amount would start out big while the antes are small (and rebuys are still permitted) As the tournament progresses, the match amount would be smaller, compared to the ante.
Old 11-20-2005, 08:42 PM

After reading what you wrote I agree. Once you lose and can't match the pot all your chips should replace the pot and you're elminated.

I hope to play a GUTS tournament in about 2 hours here, so I'll post my results if we end up playing. It may not work out as we'll probably play NLHE, Razz and Badugi before we play GUTS but I'll give it a try [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

JMB
Old 11-20-2005, 08:49 PM

Looking forward to hearing how it goes. I am guessing that the hardest part would be figuring out a good antes/maximum 'match' schedule.

P.S. What's 'Badugi'? I've seen a few threads about it on here, but am unfamiliar with the game.
Old 11-21-2005, 12:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure what you mean by that... in guts, the loser must match the pot, up to a certain limit.

[/ QUOTE ]

What I meant was, change the match to X number of bets as a general rule, for the tourney.

But, since it's a tourney, why not just make an exception and go table stakes?
"In guts you need to have enough chips in front of you to match the pot if you lose"

Give the short stack an advantage (they already have the short stack disadvantage) and let them pay off less than the pot match if they lose, as you would in normal games with table stakes. They're still out.
Old 11-21-2005, 06:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]

What I meant was, change the match to X number of bets as a general rule, for the tourney.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like this idea. I always like keeping my blind/ante schedules as simple as possible. Now I just have to figure out the ante schedule, and starting chip amounts. That shouldn't be too rough.

[ QUOTE ]

But, since it's a tourney, why not just make an exception and go table stakes?
"In guts you need to have enough chips in front of you to match the pot if you lose"
Give the short stack an advantage (they already have the short stack disadvantage) and let them pay off less than the pot match if they lose, as you would in normal games with table stakes. They're still out.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is pretty much what I had in mind. If they have a short stack, they donate and are out if they can't afford to match the whole pot (or can't afford to ante).

If they win, they still win the entire pot though. In my cash game last week, we allowed people to continue to play with a short stack, however they couldn't win the entire pot. In a tourney, they'd be able to win the entire pot, but would be eliminated if they lost. During the first few rounds, they could rebuy to keep playing.
Old 11-21-2005, 06:12 PM

For a guts tourney, I would probably go with 200 starting antes. Maximum pot match would be fixed at 20 times the ante, and play would be short-handed (6-max). So the most a player could lose on a hand during the first round would be about 10% of his or her starting stack.
Old 11-21-2005, 06:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I know it's a silly game

[/ QUOTE ]

This is very untrue. 2-card is even more fun - with straights, flushes, and straight flushes, its CHAOS. It's fun, but IMO it will make a horrible tournament game.

Ah, the good old days before we discovered hold'em...