Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Computer Technical Help

Old 11-16-2005, 11:57 AM

Default ms word soo sloowww

im working on a doc thats about 300 pages. some simple tables and text. no graphs or drawings or anything.
almost every time i paste something or delete a row or whatever (almost anything other than just typing) i lose control of the pointer for about 3-4 seconds. i have to sit there and wait for it to continue my work.
is this typical due to the doc size or is there background stuff going on thats slowing me down?
any tips would be great
thanks [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 11-16-2005, 12:28 PM

Default Re: ms word soo sloowww

That's pretty long - the delay is caused by all the page breaks being recalculated when you insert something. Recent versions (certainly Office 2003, maybe Office XP) offer the facility to combine/split into subdocuments; for earlier versions it's probably worth splitting it into ten 30-page documents manually if the delays are too frequent/irritating.
Old 11-16-2005, 12:43 PM

so if i get rid of all the page breaks, ill be fine?
Old 11-16-2005, 01:53 PM

It's not just the page breaks you've inserted manually, it's the automatic ones too - it's the fact it's a 300 page document!

When you insert a new paragraph on page 1, the line between page 1 and page 2 moves to a different part of the text, as does the one between page 2 and page 3 etc etc.

Not sure if there's a way of turning off auto-calculation of page breaks, but breaking up the document would achieve the same thing in a few minutes' work.