Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Two Plus Two > MOD DISCUSSION
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2005, 06:29 PM

Default Re: Offensive Photo?

It's pretty funny, but it shouldn't be posted.
Old 11-14-2005, 06:29 PM

Default Re: Offensive Photo?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm personally very surprised it's still up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? Do you think "nigga" used in this way is that offensive?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it may be offensive to some, and it's also low content bs that doesn't speak very well about the quality of discourse we're trying to uphold here.
Old 11-14-2005, 07:32 PM

Default Speaking of that which is offensive

On a personal and political level, I'm a pro civil liberties kinda guy. However, some things posted on a message board are clearly out of bounds, and private groups (like 2p2) can and should have more leeway in controlling content. At least IMO.

So anyhow, where do we draw the lines with avatars? Jiggling boobs is one thing, but that about this?
(There are taken from right clicking properties and pasting the image url of real current 2p2 avatars.)

and this?

[Take just a moment here. Go ahead and get all the giggles out people. You done? Cool, time to be serious again.]

How offensive is this to female posters? I know that while female poker players and gamblers are the exception, but that does not mean we should not consider how this kind of stuff makes them feel.

I should be clear. There is a difference between sophomoric but less objectionalable avatars like those above and this:

This is not so bad. I can see a woman just rolling her eyes in that "boys will be boys" kind of way to this, but not really being offended. I know it's subjective, but where do we draw the line? I'm not trying to advocate sexism, but I don't want to be a content nazi either.

I just I'm just rhetorically asking "where do we draw the line?" with things that are racist, sexist, homophobic, etc. A swastika? Yes, that is unaaceptable clearly. A confederate flag? I would say yes, but I'm from Mississippi, so I'm accutely aware of the BS behind the "heritage not hate" lies (yes it is a hate symbol). Then again, I don't want to be the pc police here.

I see this being a bigger deal with misogynistism than racism or homophobia though. I see more and more avatars approaching a line that we should probably not allowed to be crossed. I think it's time to address this issue.
Old 11-14-2005, 07:41 PM

Default Re: Speaking of that which is offensive

I remove avatars like the first two when I see them.
Old 11-14-2005, 07:54 PM

I don't care, but I should have been a guy, anyway.

The ones that bother me are the ones that make me ill. Like induce a gag reflex. I ask the posters to change their avatar. I don't demand it, I just ask out of kindness to myself and others who might be nauseated, lol.
Old 11-14-2005, 08:02 PM

I agree with Greg on this. This is a poker/gambling site, and I don't see any reason that people should be made to feel uncomfortable. I am all for free speech, but I at least like it when ideas are "challenged". And there really isn't anything challenging in most of these types of avatars. Plus, there is the whole NSFW issue.

Also, like Greg, I am not all about being PC for the sake of being PC, but there are things that are said that would be offensive to some. And generally those who knock "PC" ideas are not from a minority group; i.e., women, african americans, lower classes, etc... </end rant> [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

craig
Old 11-14-2005, 08:05 PM

Seriously, feel free to remove any avatar you guys feel is inappropriate. Just send the user a pm telling them you did so. I've done this countless times without complaint, except for one ironic exception: clarkmeister.
Old 11-14-2005, 09:03 PM

Huh? Those are offensive to women? Sometimes I feel like I'm in preschool around here. Come on guys, what is offensive about that?

If one of the girls had a picture of Brad Pitt or something as an avatar, would you be offended? If you would can you please tell me immediately so I can finish laughing in time to get my homework done tonight?
Old 11-14-2005, 09:41 PM

I don't think I'd particularly enjoy seeing Brad Pitt in a thong. Yes, I might just throw up in my mouth a little. That's not necessarily offending me, just kind of disgusting and that's still an issue. And there is the NSFW issue as well.
Old 11-14-2005, 09:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think I'd particularly enjoy seeing Brad Pitt in a thong. Yes, I might just throw up in my mouth a little. That's not necessarily offending me, just kind of disgusting and that's still an issue. And there is the NSFW issue as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why don't you let one of them say something before putting words in their mouthes.