Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2005, 10:12 AM

Default OT: STT Aptitude Test

Psychology Forum Cross Post
Old 11-09-2005, 10:14 AM

Default Re: OT: STT Aptitude Test

[ QUOTE ]
am currently recruiting players to be on a Single Table Tournament poker team of sorts

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, this is gonna go over really well...
Old 11-09-2005, 10:21 AM

what is with peoples knee-jerk negative reaction to that?

why does team automatically mean cheating

it does not in this case...i didn't want to go into that a great deal, anybody who would like more information on that concept can check out my blog (in my profile)...this post is about the actual test
Old 11-09-2005, 02:30 PM

he never said anything about cheating. i just think a sng team is really really stupid. im assuming it entails a group of people playing for an hourly wage and giving you all the profits. by the time these people are good enough to beat their respective games for more than they make from the hourly wage, why the hell would they not stop playing for you and play for themselves? seems pretty simple.. holla
Old 11-09-2005, 02:46 PM

yeah id have to agree with you rapt.

a quote from the blog:

The wage paid to players will be 50% of what is determined to be the 'true' ROI for the game they are playing...for the entire team. So say a player is at the $50+5 SNG's on Party-and the teams true ROI is 15%, this player will be paid 7.5% (~$4.13) plus 50% of the rakeback (~$0.63) for each tourney they play.

50% of the roi??? with all due respect degen, seriously... who would want to do this? if a person doesnt have the bankroll then they shouldnt be playing the stakes, imo, and if variance is that much of an issue that a person would be willing to potentially sacrifice 50% ot their own profits, then this is the wrong business for them.

maybe im failing to see some underlying benefits (and if so, i apologize) but im not seeing how this would benefit anyone except the people getting the passive 50% income off the top.
Old 11-09-2005, 03:24 PM

Well, if you look at this as a variance reducing 'system' or whatever you want to call it, then it works for both the investor and the player. The investor absorbs the variance and the player gets paid for every tournament, never having to endure a downswing.

The problem is however, that I would not give up 50% ROI to achieve this. And a 50% tax on no variance is absurd.

I think you would have a lot more interest if you 'charged' 10% or something reasonable.

And with monitoring players, I've had a 35 buyin downswing. Would I be kicked off of this thing? I've had many 10+OOTM streaks, am I out?

If so, I guess I'd join, wait for my first huge downswing, get kicked out and stick you guys with that bill.
Old 11-09-2005, 03:40 PM

Am I to understand that 50% of the team expected ROI goes to the player and any excess winnings go to the investors? And, that players can also be investors? There doesn't seem to be any mention of how much of the excess will be returned to investors and how much will go to "management".
Old 11-09-2005, 03:48 PM

From reading his blog I got the impression that the 50% would stay in the collective bankroll, not just drop into Degen's pockets.

PS dope blog dude keep it up!
Old 11-09-2005, 03:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So say a player is at the $50+5 SNG's on Party-and the teams true ROI is 15%, this player will be paid 7.5% (~$4.13) plus 50% of the rakeback(~$0.63) for each tourney they play.

[/ QUOTE ]

What am I missing. I thought this was dead. Is this "team" not playing on party?

Straight Flushes,

SAM
Old 11-09-2005, 03:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
... by the time these people are good enough to beat their respective games for more than they make from the hourly wage, why the hell would they not stop playing for you and play for themselves?

[/ QUOTE ]

One might suppose it would take frequent beatings, but once you break their spirit the lack of light, ventilation, decent food, and some heavy chains keeps those guys in my basement from getting any big ideas.