Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2005, 01:52 AM

Default AQ heads up

I had played about 30 hands with the small blind when this one came up.

During those 30 hands he was about a 60/18/2 guy, whatever that means to you.

Anyway, we're 5 handed.

I'm OTB w/ A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Folded to me and I raise, SB calls, BB folds.

Heads up to the flop, 5 small bets.

Flop: T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

SB ghey bets, I raise, SB calls.

Heads up to the turn, 4.5 big bets.

Turn: T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

SB bets, I call.

Heads up to the River, 6.5 big bets.

River: K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

SB bets, I raise, SB calls.

My main questions:

How would you play this flop?

How would you play this turn?

How many outs do you give me on the turn?

How good or bad is the turn call if I can get two bets on the river?
Old 11-09-2005, 02:05 AM

Default Re: AQ heads up

Seems this Villain is 3-betting you with tons of hands on this flop. I'd just call here, but FWIW I definitely don't raise here enough as my standard play when I should.

Rest is good, obviously.

Ooh, didn't see pot size on the turn. Looks pretty thin now.
Old 11-09-2005, 02:05 AM

I think I just call the flop bet. That's a flop that's very likely to have hit him somehow. Also, he's aggressive. Since you didn't provide a read that he'll be betting with hands you beat here, or he'll freeze up to your raise and give you a free card, I don't really like it. And then I fold the turn. You're probably facing Jx, but it might be QJ or AJ. On the off chance he has a T, you're in bad shape. I give you 6.5 outs on the turn. Since you'll have a hard time raising an A or a Q (and if you do, you'll sometimes have to fold to a 3bet), I don't think you have the implied odds to call that turn bet, even as you played it. OTOH, if this guy is bonkers enough to bet the whole way w/ squat, I might be inclined to call, call, call and show this down (raise your rivered straight, naturally).
Old 11-09-2005, 02:06 AM

I guess I don't care much whether you raise the flop or the turn. You have the best hand lots of the times, but I don't know how often you're getting a free card. On the turn I see no reason to discount any of your 10 outs; and I think a flop raise followed by a turn fold vs. this player is pretty horrible.
Old 11-09-2005, 12:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Flop: T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

SB ghey bets , I raise, SB calls.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-09-2005, 01:22 PM

If villian has a J, we have 10 outs to call the turn. so getting 5.5 to 1, we can call.

If villian has a T, we have 4 outs, so we are not getting the odds.

If villian has nothing we may have the best hand.

so, at first glance I thought the turn call was bad, but actually it looks really close.

The question is how often do you think he has a T, a J, or bluff. Add em up and figure your odds.

I think it's close enough to call, but I would probably have folded on the spot b/c I can't hit a gutshot to save my life, hell I can't even hit my oesd's. (read 'downswing')
Old 11-09-2005, 01:33 PM

How would you play this flop? Just call

How would you play this turn? Fold if you just called the flop. Call if you raised the flop.

How many outs do you give me on the turn? Seven

How good or bad is the turn call if I can get two bets on the river? Good
Old 11-09-2005, 01:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You're probably facing Jx, but it might be QJ or AJ

[/ QUOTE ]

I think there's a good chance he 3-bets at least AJ preflop, if not both hands. Actually I think most hands that have us reverse dominated would have 3-bet preflop.

Given is aggression though I do like the call/call/call (raise since you picked up the straight) line.
Old 11-09-2005, 01:48 PM

With this VPIP, w also have to think about J4, A4, Q4, and T4. Our A and Q outs are not as sparkling clean as people want to think. Also, his PFR is only 18. He's aggressive, but that PFR isn't too out of line. Now, some guys of this type might be willing to 3bet or cap anything they'd raise with (I was up against one of them last night, actually), but I certainly wouldn't be surprised to see either QJ or AJ.

I was perhaps a little too conservative in my outs. Give him 7 and the turn call looks OK assuming we're not planning on showing this down UI. If we are planning on showing this down UI, then I would have preferred call, call, call (raise).
Old 11-09-2005, 01:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If villian has a J, we have 10 outs to call the turn. so getting 5.5 to 1, we can call.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless his jack has us reverse-dominated. Deception to the contrary notwithstanding, I have no reason to believe that this guy knows how to defend his blind short-handed, and so am not reducing the possibility of any holdings. (A good question to know the answer to going into this thread would be, how many of the 30 hands you've played with him has the table been 5-handed?)

After the ghey bet (love that!) on the flop, I peel to see what the turn brings. Either way, raise or call on the flop, when he donkbets the turn I don't see how you can find enough outs to call again.