Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 11-07-2005, 05:53 PM

Default Re: I guess it\'s time to get it all in -- flop bluff

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You realize that smart LAGs are very familiar with this psychology? People keep thinking that this must be the time that he really has it -- that they were set up. So they just keep folding.

They'll need the nuts to ever call.

[/ QUOTE ]

I won't...and most decent TAGs will realize what you are up to...someone can't have the nuts everytime and sooner or later you are going to get looked up...now sometimes when you get looked up, you'll have it...other times you won't. The other issue is that this works primarily on TAGS sometimes, tight passives all the time, and it doesn't work very often at all on donkeys. You do have to be selective in your play.

A lot of times when I want to have fun and be a maniac, i'll play only 1 table and i'll make lots of crazy bluffs that I always show.....then when I get the goods I get paid off....It's good fun and it works, but sometimes your bluffs get called...when they do I generally fold....when you open push overbet the pot folding isn't really an option and if you get looked up they take your stack.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
If you routinely overbet the pot with AA on every pot you are going to get stacked quite often....people don't call large overbets with anything except good hands....those that can generally beat 1 pair.

[/ QUOTE ]

Regarding open pushing with one pair, can you look at the QQ hand I posted in this thread against the same villain? It would seem to contradict your premise that he "can't make a mistake" when I overbet all-in with one pair. He made a tremendous mistake by calling. He called $90 into a $14 pot with unimproved overs which hit on neither the turn nor river. I doubt there is any other way I get full value there than by simply open pushing.
Old 11-07-2005, 06:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Regarding open pushing with one pair, can you look at the QQ hand I posted in this thread against the same villain? It would seem to contradict your premise that he "can't make a mistake" when I overbet all-in with one pair. He made a tremendous mistake by calling. He called $90 into a $14 pot with unimproved overs which hit on neither the turn nor river. I doubt there is any other way I get full value there than by simply open pushing.

[/ QUOTE ]

You set him up for this play though. And he's a major idiot...an idiot can always make the wrong play. Against an unknown the only hands that call you in the example are those that beat you....but now that they know you are capable of this move then other hands will call. However, this is an exceptionally bad call, even if he knows you are bluffing he has to fold there....his play wouldn't be that bad if he had least had top pair, but he called you with unimproved overs....pretty horrendous. This is what i was talking about when I said that your method of playing does set them up to make bad calls....but that's an exceptionally bad one.
Old 11-07-2005, 06:14 PM

The main difference between this forum and the mid-high SHOULD BE that we trying to extract absolutely full value out of every single hand as an exploitation of our opponents' weaknesses. I'm focused more on getting full value than anything else when I play.

When you play LAG/Maniac style, weak players simply can't respond to what you are doing.

The hands I post here (this being a glaring exception) try to demonstrate how much value you can be getting in silly situations (such as flopping an ace with your AK when the guy has QQ). He is going to MAKE YOU SHOW HIM AN ACE. And he doesn't care if it takes 175BB until he believes you. These players just won't fold a hand against you.

Usually when I make these posts I get a response about how lame the hand is because I was just lucky that my opponent sucked so bad. Well these opponents are out there, and it's not hard to get a read as to when your opponent has just about had it and is ready to make a "big call".
Old 11-07-2005, 06:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The entire forum said your line sucks, you want to keep arguing, fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

actually i think he said his line sucked also, $70 was a better bet. Although i don't play this high, i like this line with $70.

as for playing AA here, djoyce you're not considering the pot size or stack sizes at all. pot is $64 after villain's weak bet, and he has $110 behind. Pushing aces is never -EV in this situation.