Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2005, 10:08 PM

Default Re: Did anyone hear Jeb Bush\'s comments about God?

Ah, a savior, eh? hmmmm...well, I guess I could just not throw the hampster-zombies in the torture pit...eh....I'll do something about it in about 4,000 years. I'm a busy man.

Ooooh, new episode of South Park!
Old 11-03-2005, 10:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Romans 3: blah blah blah

[/ QUOTE ]

No, he said explain, not spout dogma.
Old 11-03-2005, 10:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Romans 5:
12Therefore, just as through one man sin entered into the world, and death through sin, and so death spread to all men, because all sinned--

[/ QUOTE ]

NR, there's something I've been wondering which your verse reminded me of. God banished Adam and Eve after they ate from the Tree of Knowledge "becoming as one of us, knowing good and evil", concerned they would eat from the Tree of Life and live forever. So if death came to the world because they ate of the Tree of Knowledge, does that mean they were immortal before that? Did eating the fruit strip them of their eternal life, or was it God's curse? And why was there a Tree of Life or a restriction from eating of it if they were already deathless before original sin? And what would be wrong with them eating the Tree of Life fruit anyway? It would save a few thousand years of waiting for a blood sacrifice and all that messy business. Didn't want the competition?
Old 11-04-2005, 12:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]

So if death came to the world because they ate of the Tree of Knowledge, does that mean they were immortal before that?

[/ QUOTE ]

Whether they were or not the general concensus among orthodox theologians is they would have become immortal and righteous if they had passed the test.

[ QUOTE ]

And why was there a Tree of Life or a restriction from eating of it if they were already deathless before original sin? And what would be wrong with them eating the Tree of Life fruit anyway?

[/ QUOTE ]

There was no restriction on the Tree of Life as far as I know. But theologians think if they had eaten of it after sinning they would have become fixed in their sin nature. It would not have solved the need for Christ's sacrifice because they would still be guilty. No one knows for sure about the Tree of Life, so this is just speculation.
Old 11-04-2005, 09:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, yeah, we all know. NotReady's God is a perfect being who we have no right, reason, or capacity to judge, in his thinking. Others think his God is a mean vindictive egomaniac bullying those whose crime is being lesser than he is. His version makes you puke, understandable. Still I think there's too much focus on the lunatic fringe and too many of you let the equally ridiculous but more user-friendly PC views slide. JMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

What views are you referring to?