Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2005, 01:49 PM

Default Re: Did anyone hear Jeb Bush\'s comments about God?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Disciplining South Florida for what?

[/ QUOTE ]

All human difficulty is a result of the fall.

[ QUOTE ]

Providing for us how?

[/ QUOTE ]

"What do you have that you did not receive?"

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I am going to puke.

[/ QUOTE ]

JLOLOLAJEFIOADSLOLOLOLOL. Yeah, makes me want to puke, too. I guess my aunt that miscarried a few babies is a result of the fall. I guess my mother stealing my identity and racking up a few thousand dollars, and Bank of America denying my credit card fraud claim on a technicality (I gave my mother a chance to pay it off [she didn't] before I went to BofA) and my suffering since then is a result of the fall. And of course, hurricanes tornadoes and fat bitches falling on little children are a result of the fall.
Old 11-03-2005, 01:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

It is like me hitting you in the face with a crowbar and then you thanking me for handing you a tissue to wipe up the blood.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's more like you acknowledging your parent is correct for disciplining you and then thanking him for providing all your needs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good disciplining should involve a reaction to a particular action that the parent (in this analogy) wants to correct. In essence, "the punishment should fit the crime."

What did the people in Florida do that deserved this beating? I don't believe that each person who had his property damaged was guilty of something that deserved it, and that everyone else in the world who DIDN'T have their home destroyed is NOT guilty of it.

This is an excellent example of Christian stupidity. There is no Biblical support to suggest that God was doing this to punish the wicked, wicked people of south Florida, and that his magic, happy rainbow weather was a covenant of good faith. To quote a bumper sticker, "S.hit Happens."
Old 11-03-2005, 02:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I don't believe that each person who had his property damaged was guilty of something that deserved it, and that everyone else in the world who DIDN'T have their home destroyed is NOT guilty of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't say that.

[ QUOTE ]

There is no Biblical support to suggest that God was doing this to punish the wicked, wicked people of south Florida, and that his magic, happy rainbow weather was a covenant of good faith.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or that.
Old 11-03-2005, 02:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-03-2005, 02:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-03-2005, 03:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-03-2005, 04:33 PM

I thought this was about Jeb Bush's comments and not God's actions. Even if God were gently rebuking his wayward sons by smashing them with a hurricane, how dare Jeb Bush insult everone who was hurt by making such an asinine statement.
Old 11-03-2005, 05:17 PM

Uh, k. Jeb is an idiot for not understanding the implications that this statement would have, but hey, it runs in the family.

Whoever said that Florida deserved this is a [censored] tool... I have tens of thousands of NOLA evacuees in my city, how bout you come down here and tell them that.

This is one huge reason I got fed up with christianity, God is the perfect scapegoat: You can blame him for all the good things, but as soon as something bad happens, nope, thats satan.

what a [censored] crock.
Old 11-03-2005, 07:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

It is like me hitting you in the face with a crowbar and then you thanking me for handing you a tissue to wipe up the blood.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's more like you acknowledging your parent is correct for disciplining you and then thanking him for providing all your needs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good disciplining should involve a reaction to a particular action that the parent (in this analogy) wants to correct. In essence, "the punishment should fit the crime."

What did the people in Florida do that deserved this beating? I don't believe that each person who had his property damaged was guilty of something that deserved it, and that everyone else in the world who DIDN'T have their home destroyed is NOT guilty of it.

This is an excellent example of Christian stupidity. There is no Biblical support to suggest that God was doing this to punish the wicked, wicked people of south Florida, and that his magic, happy rainbow weather was a covenant of good faith. To quote a bumper sticker, "S.hit Happens."

[/ QUOTE ]

Despite the fact that I'm probably closer to falling on your side of this 'debate,' I feel the need to at least mention that under the assumption that the Christian God does exist in the way most Christians seem to believe, the chances of him acting "Logical" by our standards is probably pretty slim. (This post comes with the caveat that my reply is not directly to the quoted post, since I agree with the general message the quoted post is conveying, about people jumping to conclusions and arbitrarily designing explanations for events they witness... this isn't a uniquely Christian phenomenon.) To display my small mindedness, an analogy is in store: it'd be like a group of Ducks trying to understand our behavior.

"Quack quack! quack quack quack, quack quack quack!" they say!
"Quack I can't quack believe quack that he quack waddled directly past a chunk of bread without quack eating it!"
"Quack I think I'm going to continue to quack walk around instead of quack flying"

I think I've lost my point here, but to wrap it up with a response to the original poster: The only Christians I've heard that seem to have a brain capable of rational thought, all admit to healthy doses of Christian stupidity, hyopcrisy, etc. And for any of us that don't follow the faith, the stupidity displayed by a good chunk of (before I have a handful of people diving down my throat, I did not say 'all,' nor am I implying that following the faith necessarily leads to stupidity) Christians is apparent anyway. Is one example of stupidity, on the part of a Christian, in regards to anything, really noteworthy anymore? It's been like 2000 years now. But then again, I've only been playing poker for 2 years, and I already find it funny when people tell stories about LAGs, downswings, beats, etc. as if the people they're talking to should be SHOCKED AND AWED... and yet I'm guilty of telling the same stories too. Quack.
Old 11-03-2005, 07:46 PM

Then please explain what you meant.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This analogy suggests the following:

Child : South Florida resident
Parent : God
Something bad that the child did that deserved discipline : Something bad that the South Florida resident did that deserved discipline
Punishment : Wilma

So God punished a whole bunch of people with a big hurricane. Did they ALL deserve it?

If yes, then we are to believe that everyone who got hit with Wilma, and everyone ALONE who got hit with Wilma, did something particularly bad that deserved God's wrath.

If no, then this was either a random, horrible tragedy. In this case, an analogy should be drawn to an alcoholic parent who beats his children for no reason.