Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2005, 12:31 AM

Default Re: Flipping out

[ QUOTE ]
If that's what I average then that's what I make. I don't see how you can say I don't make it.

[/ QUOTE ]

That would only be true if you played at "average" level all the time. Wouldn't you agree that you get better the more you play?
Old 10-31-2005, 12:58 AM

There's a utility in knowing how much you make, on average, per SNG.

Saying "I make $5.50/SNG" is no different than saying that you have a 10% ROI at the $55s... I'm not sure why you would single out $/SNG to criticize and not ROI.
Old 10-31-2005, 01:05 AM

If SNGs are your only source of income, I think it's mandatory to have 6 months of expenses saved up (outside of your bankroll). This shouldn't just be enough to pay for rent, heat and bread and water for the month - it should include what you need each month to live comfortably and do what you enjoy doing. The downswings are bad enough - worrying about paying this month's bills just make you and your game even worse.

If having poker as your only source of income causes you this much stress, or forces you to live like a hermit until the next upswing comes, then you'll probably get more enjoyment overall by playing as a hobby. You can always get a part time job to pay the bills until you get certified.
Old 10-31-2005, 01:47 AM

My point wasn't that somehow I now know my true ROI. I use the $ per tourney to help me handle swings. Yes it's a mind trick but it works for me.
Old 10-31-2005, 01:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
There's a utility in knowing how much you make, on average, per SNG.

Saying "I make $5.50/SNG" is no different than saying that you have a 10% ROI at the $55s... I'm not sure why you would single out $/SNG to criticize and not ROI.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not criticizing anything. I'm just saying that your ROI doesn't mean anything if you are not playing at that level. You should play your best every sit n go you play, and not donk it up for a hand, bust, and then say well I just made $5.50.
Old 10-31-2005, 01:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My point wasn't that somehow I now know my true ROI. I use the $ per tourney to help me handle swings. Yes it's a mind trick but it works for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

If it helps you handle swings, good. I just know for me it allows me to rely on a crutch and not be responsible for my play.
Old 10-31-2005, 02:35 AM

Thanks for the replies. Just to make things clear, I don't need the money to pay the bills...immediately. I'm not living month to month off of poker income and I probably have about 4 months of living expenses in my bank account. However, I know from experience that if you don't make the money or even worse, don't play enough, that pool of money makes an innevitable decline.

Maybe I just don't get out enough and my life is kind of pathetic so part of the frustration derives from failures other than merely the last hand/tourney.

I also tend not to get mad because of bad beats. Those happen. I get angrier because I made a marginal play or I made a mistake or even if I'm not really sure what the right move was and end up losing. If I get all the money in with my AA vs. some guy's 33 and he wins I can usually deal with that. But if I've waited and waited and waited for a decent hand and finally I'm down to 5x BB with 5 players left and I raise all-in with Q5s on the button only to have the BB find AA...that frustrates me because I question my own ability in addition to losing the hand.
Old 10-31-2005, 04:12 AM

I'm not suggesting anything about you here, and I don't expect you to respond..this is just meant as a comment that you may or may not apply to yourself.

Getting laid is very very +lifeEV
Old 10-31-2005, 04:17 AM

my life

You are not alone.