Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 10-30-2005, 04:05 PM

Default Re: Flipping out

hey OP, just learn to be mentally stronger than randomness.
Old 10-30-2005, 04:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Now that I've played enough SNG's to know how much money I'd make on each one, wins and loses don't affect me nearly as much. I try to think of it as each time I play I make $5.50.

Of course I don't play higher limits so my swings are somewhat limited.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do people on this forum love to say things like this? This is wrong. You do not make $5.50 a tourney. That may be what your average over many tournaments, but you are not a robot and play every tourney the exact same way. Hopefully you are getting better and sometimes you may not be playing as well.
Old 10-30-2005, 04:07 PM

lol rofl lol hahaha
Old 10-30-2005, 04:12 PM

This is what I was thinking [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

To the OP--- Seriously dude, you need to control yourself-- or avoid situations where you can't control yourself... I learned not to break things in anger when I was 5 after breaking my favorite toy because my parents punished me.
Old 10-30-2005, 07:32 PM

Man, I feel like I'm reading a post I might make.

I have an old printer in my living room, with the arm of my desk chair laying next to it...and when I take a shitty beat, I just go smash the hell out of that printer. I really need to throw it away. It is in so many small pieces now.

Anyway, yeah, I totally get stressed too. I have flirted with the idea of trying to play poker to make a living, at least for a little while, and right now I don't know if I have the mental toughness.

It sounds like we're similar in that respect. I think the more you play, the more you realize that bad beats are going to happen. I FORCE myself to say "I got my money in as a favorite there and played as well as I could" after a tough beat and it helps. Seriously.

Just keep getting your money in there as a big favorite and it will all work out. In the interim, realize that this game has some nasty swings and we just have to ride it out.
Old 10-30-2005, 07:42 PM

I find 8 tabling I hardly notice the bad beats.
Old 10-30-2005, 07:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I find 8 tabling I hardly notice the bad beats.

[/ QUOTE ]

I find the same 4-6 tabling. You guys need to get "centered" or something. Or just take up chess. I just can't wrap my head around people that take beats this bad. You play thousands and thousands hands. Some of them are not going to break your way. That is pretty much the nature of a game of chance. Not to be rude, but, you know, get over it =/.
Old 10-30-2005, 08:16 PM

WAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!
Old 10-30-2005, 08:47 PM

If that's what I average then that's what I make. I don't see how you can say I don't make it.
Old 10-31-2005, 12:06 AM

The psychology forum is a good place. Really, I checked it out once and was surprised at the good advice posted there.

Poker is tough, that is why we love/hate it. Although it is just a game it is also real money and real money equals freedom, fun, new stuff, paid bills , less stress etc.

I do not stress out or break things but I find that losing a big MTT particularly the live MTT is rather heartbreaking. When I drive home after a loss I find that I was so attached to winning that I am totally depressed, then I assess my play and I "GET OVER IT"

So yeah, freak out if you must but hurting your hand is stupid, break something that does not matter. Your hand is important.

You have to want to win bad enough that it feels bad to lose but not so much that the stress makes you play bad or that the anger makes you break stuff.

--
tjh