Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2005, 06:58 PM

Default Rosenthal says Mazzone to Baltimore

link. I'm totally shocked. It's not official yet...

I guess Rosenthal could be wrong, but I doubt it.
Old 10-20-2005, 12:35 AM

Default Re: Rosenthal says Mazzone to Baltimore

This is not a surprise at all to me, specifically because I understand how people in Cumberland, Md., are like (Perlozzo and Mazzone are both Cumberland natives who grew up together). It's a town of about 20,000 or so, and it completely fits the saying "everybody knows everybody, everybody is family." This was probably their dream since elementary school, to coach together on the O's.

As soon as I heard the O's were in the running for Mazzone, I knew he would wind up there. Just because of the Cumberland connection.
Old 10-20-2005, 07:13 AM

Why did he want to leave Atlanta?
Old 10-20-2005, 07:18 AM

When I heard this this morning I was soooo happy. Now the Phillies can win the NL East.
Old 10-20-2005, 07:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Bobby Cox was using him as a punching bag.
Old 10-20-2005, 08:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why did he not want to go to los jankees?
Old 10-20-2005, 12:06 PM

I believe Baltimore's manager was a childhood buddy. I guess he talked to the Yankees either to see if they would make him an offer he couldn't refuse, or to gain bargaining power with Baltimore.
Old 10-20-2005, 01:16 PM

Perlazzo was Mazzone's best man. Mazzone just wants to work with his best friend and see him succeed as a manager before retiring.

from a December 2, 2004 article in the Cumberland times:

[ QUOTE ]
Only one other aspiration

In attendance that day in Baltimore was Mazzone's best friend, Cumberland's Sam Perlozzo, the Orioles bench coach. Because of the friendship the two share, Mazzone keeps a close eye on the Orioles, who finished third in the American League East last year, marking the first time since 1997 they finished higher than fourth. The Orioles, however, have not had a winning season since 1997.

"If they get any kind of pitching at all," Mazzone said, "they are a team to be reckoned with, no question about it."

With Camp Leo XV, the pre-spring training camp Mazzone conducts for Braves pitchers set for the first week of February, the former Bruce High School lefthander will follow the Hot Stove league closely in anticipation of what the 2005 season holds for the Braves. Widely recognized as the best pitching coach in baseball, Mazzone, who last year authored a book, "Tales from the Braves Mound," says he's content with his station in life coaching the Braves' pitchers.

"Absolutely," he said. "What would I do if I wasn't going to the ballpark every day? I love it as much now as I did when I was nine-years-old. Maybe more."

A successful manager in the minor leagues, Mazzone says he has no aspirations to manage in the big leagues.

"No way," he said. "My only other aspiration is to be Sam's pitching coach. After that, we'll be done."

The time for Perlozzo, who has interviewed for the Seattle Mariners job as well as the Orioles' position twice, to manage in the big leagues is drawing near, according to Mazzone.

"It's going to happen," he said. "There is no doubt in my mind or the minds of anybody in the big leagues. Sam is going to be a manager, and a (darn) good one at that. And like I said, I'll be his pitching coach, and after that? We'll be done."

[/ QUOTE ]

linkie
Old 10-20-2005, 04:13 PM

I wonder if the possibility of getting Mazzone helped Perlazzo get/keep his job?
Old 10-20-2005, 10:19 PM

Very likely, one would think. Sort of like the Pettitte/Clemens deal. Sign me, said Andy, and I'll get us Roger.