Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2005, 01:33 PM

Default What was the most \'revolutionary\' scientific theory of all time?

Of all the scientific theories ever postulated which was the most revolutionary, most earth-shattering of all time. It had to be completely counter to how everyone else viewed the natural world at that time.

My vote would be for Nicolaus Copernicus' heliocentric view of the solar system.
Old 10-10-2005, 01:36 PM

Default Re: What was the most \'revolutionary\' scientific theory of all time?

Relativity
Old 10-10-2005, 01:42 PM

I think the above two have been the most "revolutionary" and anything else is probably a distant third.

Hopefully there is a number three on the way during our life time. Maybe some type of unified theory.
Old 10-10-2005, 01:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the above two have been the most "revolutionary" and anything else is probably a distant third.

Hopefully there is a number three on the way during our life time. Maybe some time of unified theory.

[/ QUOTE ]

Another possible third place choice - the ancient greeks who were the first to think the earth was round.
Old 10-10-2005, 02:01 PM

The facial.
Old 10-10-2005, 02:17 PM

You've got to go with evolution. Earth not being the centre of the universe has nothing on your great uncle being a hairy monkey.

Moderately intelligent people uneducated people (and lots of them) still debate it to this day, even though it's as much a fact as EM or relativity.
Old 10-10-2005, 02:19 PM

The key word being "moderately"
Old 10-10-2005, 02:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You've got to go with evolution. Earth not being the centre of the universe has nothing on your great uncle being a hairy monkey.

Moderately intelligent people uneducated people (and lots of them) still debate it to this day, even though it's as much a fact as EM or relativity.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think there is a right or wrong answer - just thought it would be interesting to see different opinions on something other than the g word.
Old 10-10-2005, 02:39 PM

You can't avoid the 'G' word around here. Maybe we should call it 'Sklansky's G Spot' instead of SMP [/latenitesexdrugsmoneyjoke]

Both theories were pretty funny. As an aside, do you think this is it for revolutionary theories? Are there any assumptions left to shake on the scale of "Earth is the centre of the universe"?
Old 10-10-2005, 02:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You can't avoid the 'G' word around here. Maybe we should call it 'Sklansky's G Spot' instead of SMP [/latenitesexdrugsmoneyjoke]

Both theories were pretty funny. As an aside, do you think this is it for revolutionary theories? Are there any assumptions left to shake on the scale of "Earth is the centre of the universe"?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this shows that most scientific progress is in baby steps, progressing from a previous idea and expanding upon it. Rarely does a concept come about so drastically different than all others before it. I am sure there will be others in the future and hopefully within our lifetimes.