Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2005, 04:08 AM

Default Should I have called collusion?

I'm all in with a short stack and get 3 callers. Flop comes and then the first guy checks and says to the other two guys in the hand, "just check it down so we have a better chance of knocking him out." They did so and I tripled up but should would I have been right to say anything?
Old 10-07-2005, 06:43 AM

Default Re: Should I have called collusion?

Well if the flop did not help you in any way call it collusion. I hate players that do things like that.
Old 10-07-2005, 07:47 AM

Yeah... This is wrong because they SAID to do so. Just doing it would have been a good and right move (better chance of knocking you out.) But when they say something about it, it becomes collusion.
Old 10-07-2005, 08:00 AM

Such a move can be good tournament strategy but must be done implicitly and not vocalized in the table. Any vocal suggestion of checking it down is outright cheating in my books.
Old 10-07-2005, 09:01 AM

I don't know if I'd call this collusion. It's probably one idiot who watch Lederer's video and thought he was doing a service by "teaching" the others at the table the proper way to play a tourney.
Old 10-07-2005, 10:20 AM

It was collusion, but probably not with any thought behind it. I've had this happen before and just tell the player that spoke up that his actions amount to cheating, and to please not talk about the hand while it is going. The two times it has happened the player has apologized and, hopefully, stopped doing this.
Old 10-07-2005, 11:32 AM

OK...that is bullcrap and the guy who said it is obviously a moron. This strategy pretty common but it should be, and usually is, something that goes without saying. By saying this I don't agree that it should happen every time someone is all in. If you had three callers I am assuming your game is not short handed, and therefor it is way to early to consider this move. Chips are chips and erarly on the goal is to build your stack any way possible. It looks like the flop didn't help any of the callers in your situation (OP) but if it had, they should go ahead and try to win the pot no matter how grumpy anyone else gets. Poker is NOT a team sport!!
Old 10-07-2005, 03:18 PM

Just curious, suppose you called collusion on them, because they spoke about it. What happens then?
Old 10-07-2005, 10:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well if the flop did not help you in any way call it collusion. I hate players that do things like that.

[/ QUOTE ]

that's shooting an angle on an angle. either speak up or don't... don't let the cards decide the level of your ethics.
Old 10-08-2005, 12:28 AM

It really depends on the type of game it is.

Of course it's collusion -- the rule is you can DO this, but you can't agree to DO it. However, I've played home games where it's talk is loose, and this kind of thing would not be uncommon. At worst, in that case, I'd mention it privately to the person who made the offer and let it slide.