Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2005, 11:30 AM

Default There IS a difference between Party and Pokerstars tournaments.

I have always recommended Partypoker to my friends for live games and Pokerstars for tournaments. There is no question that Pokerstars has a cleaner interface and more tournament games than Party.

However, recently I started playing tournaments on Party and noticed a difference immediately. Whenever I lost on Pokerstars I usually went to bed with a 'bad taste in my mouth' (no flames please). I would be all-in with the best hand and get beat on the turn or river (riverstars anyone). I kept saying to myself 'well at least you put it in with a favorite'.

On Partypoker, if I went in with the favorite it would usually hold up. I started cashing in a lot more tournaments. Now, if I lose, it is because I am being blinded out and forced to go in with an underdog. Every now and then my favorite will lose but it is certainly much less often than on Pokerstars. Anyone else notice this?
Old 10-06-2005, 11:31 AM

Default Re: There IS a difference between Party and Pokerstars tournaments.

Where's Sample Size Man when you need him?
Old 10-06-2005, 11:34 AM

Default Re: There IS a difference between Party and Pokerstars tournaments. *DELETED*

Post deleted by Mike Haven
Old 10-06-2005, 11:40 AM

Why so hateful?
Old 10-06-2005, 11:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
please die soon.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why so hateful?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because your post is silly. "Party is better because I'm running good there."
Old 10-06-2005, 11:45 AM

YSSCKY
Old 10-06-2005, 11:46 AM

You only start out winning at Party in the beginning.

When they turn the DOOM SWITCH on your account, then you are going to see the bad beats.
Old 10-06-2005, 11:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
please die soon.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why so hateful?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand variance and all the rest. I have played around 100 tournaments on Pokerstars and I have lost with the best hand about 90% of the time. The rest of the time I got blinded out. Even, tho I have only played around 10 tournaments on Party I have not lost with the best hand once. It is always a matter of being blinded out. Just an observation and I know it can change. No need to be so hostile.
Old 10-06-2005, 11:58 AM

I understand variance and all the rest.

[/ QUOTE ]

You do?
Old 10-06-2005, 12:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
please die soon.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why so hateful?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand variance and all the rest. I have played around 100 tournaments on Pokerstars and I have lost with the best hand about 90% of the time. The rest of the time I got blinded out. Even, tho I have only played around 10 tournaments on Party I have not lost with the best hand once. It is always a matter of being blinded out. Just an observation and I know it can change. No need to be so hostile.

[/ QUOTE ]

I assume that when you say lost you mean got knocked out with. If you're claiming that the best hand didn't hold up only once for you at any point in a tourney in 10 tourneys at party, but 90 percent of the time at Stars then you're full of shyte.

Ok so if its knocked out lets look at that. First of all "about ninety percent" means that its way lower. If you haven't kept an accurate record then you estimate is bound to be way off, simply because that's the way our internal biases work. For instance I've been tracking my wins every time I've had pocket aces for the last two years. No way would my estimate of how often I win with them jibe with reality.

Ok, the other problem is simply a sampling error. Your are excluding from your calculations the times you bascially blinded out and went in weak. So what your are looking at is the times you went all in with a healthy stack and got knocked out. Most of the time when you get all in with a healthy stack you have a good hand. So of course you're always getting knocked out with a good hand and usually the favorite, because its the only time you're all-in with a healthy stack. You're selecting your sample in a way that tends to come up with the very thing you're saying is a problem.

Of course you why you don't have many examples of this in your ten tourneys where you are mostly blinding out.

Another problem is simply the odds against you when you go all in more than once. If you get all in as a 2-1 favorite agains a stack that has you covered twice in a tournament you will be knocked out of that tournament 66 percent of the time on one of those two hands. Even though you were a big favorite with both hands individually. If you do it three or four times in a tourney the odds get correspondingly greater of you being knocked out on one of these 2-1 hands.

--Zetack