Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-29-2005, 06:00 PM

Default Where do I go next....

Ok so here I am been playing for a little more than half a year. I've focussed mainly on FL hold'em, and currently I'm multitabling party 2/4$ (7 tables 1 screen). I do Ok, but nothing wild with a winrate at 1,8 over 45K hands.

This month I've started to feel the burnout just a bit, and I've also questioned wether this is fun or just grindin money. Sure I have fun but when multitabling you only have so much time between each decission. I've taken a couple of shots at the 3/6$ 6max but with bad results.

I've decided to take 1 or 2 weeks off and really think what I'd like to do from here.

1. I could start from scratch and learn a new poker variant NL or SNG's. Starting at the small stakes working my way up study this new form every single part of it.

2. I could stick with FL and live with the burnout, and continue to take shoots, and hopefully in time I'll be able to climb the ladder.

3. I could stay where I am grindin, and take some money out. (I haven't taken any money out as of yet). This serves two things. I get to play loads of hands and get really good proof that I'm a winning player at this level. I'll get some momey out spend em foolishly and hopefully my br at 5,5k would increase also.

I'd like some opinions from other players from FL, NL and SNG's on why they prefer their game and which pros and cons come along with each variety.

I believe that NL is the game where you get to do the most decissions and thus the best game if you have enough skill..? (haven't played much)

SNG's I find these to be loads of fun but somehow it's pretty boring just going all in and all in when you get to the last few players.

Money wise which game is the easiest to make a good rate anything above 50$ an hour is ok for me this is only hobby second job so far.

I've bought a couple of books covering several varieties NL/FL (Super system) and the NL PL book By bob Caiffone and Steward Reuben.

Where do I go..
Old 09-29-2005, 06:18 PM

Default Re: Where do I go next....

Limit poker was way too boring and frustrating for me. Im sure its probably better if you get to higher stakes but at 2/4 and below it really was just a grind for me.

I switched to NL about 2 1/2 years ago and have never looked back.

You wont be able to play 7 tables of NL, but you wont need to. You can make much more than $50/hr playing 2-3 tables once you are good enough to play $2/$4NL.
Old 09-29-2005, 06:24 PM

Default Re: Where do I go next....

ok assuming I have the skills to make it in NL. How long did it take for you to get to whereever you are currently. I have about a year from now where I'll be studying insanly much since my girlfriend will be leaving me and go work in Vietnam.

During these 8 months I'll do as much as possible to get the hours in for both playing reading analysing and posting.

Shes leaving in January. Say I have a normal learning courve where could i be in NL arounf January 25, 50 or 100..?

Hard to answer I know but does it take forever to figure NL. I've only played 3k Hands at 25nl they end up breakeven since I don't know [censored] in NL. Seems to me like everybody is just set camping and thats a bit boring.