Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Answer the question
Yes 3 7.69%
No 36 92.31%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-27-2005, 12:14 PM

Default Re: Who would you expect to be more moral - an Atheist or a Theist?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Obviously, from the poll so far many people disagree.

[/ QUOTE ]

10 so far.

The poll is what it is. The same poll posted on other forums is likely to have varying results. What theist is going to say that athiests are more moral and vice versa?

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed - however, I was hoping people would try and vote more objectively while considering what I wrote in the OP.
Old 09-27-2005, 12:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Agreed - however, I was hoping people would try and vote more objectively while considering what I wrote in the OP.

[/ QUOTE ]

If all we were considering was what you wrote in the OP, theists would win in a blowout. You proposed an incentive for atheists not to get caught (or, maybe, for obeying the law) -- not for acting ethically. I think a better argument would be that an atheist is more responsible for his own moral compass, and therefore is more likely to be faithful to it.

Why doesn't the poll have a "neither" option? As it is, I don't think we're going to learn anything here, except that this board is mostly populated by partisan antheists.
Old 09-27-2005, 12:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If all we were considering was what you wrote in the OP, theists would win in a blowout. You proposed an incentive for atheists not to get caught (or, maybe, for obeying the law) -- not for acting ethically. I think a better argument would be that an atheist is more responsible for his own moral compass, and therefore is more likely to be faithful to it.

Why doesn't the poll have a "neither" option? As it is, I don't think we're going to learn anything here, except that this board is mostly populated by partisan antheists.

[/ QUOTE ]

I proposed an incentive for both the Atheist and Theist to act ethically. I simply asked which was the better incentive?

Sorry I did not add a neither option.
Old 09-27-2005, 04:32 PM

I'm curious if this forum is populated by 77% non-theists.
Old 09-27-2005, 05:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
... The issue is whether or not objective morality can exist without a divine source. That is not the same thing as being moral...

[/ QUOTE ]

I am responding to your post as further clarification of your point, not that I assume you think differently than the following (to the contrary):

Unless I misunderstood the point of the Dog and Pony (Humans) Show by David S., he clearly showed (well, he showed at any rate) that there are no Absolutes in morality. (Never mind the god part and that there are absolutes if you bring a god into the equation - let's keep it simple. Bring god in and it isn’t hard to imagine Absolutes. )

Yet, it seems that others still insist there are.

Am I missing something?

P.s. There are of course, morals we can agree on (to) as good for social order, etc.
Old 09-28-2005, 09:18 AM

Anybody else surprised by the results so far - about 80% for the Atheist. Did any Theists vote for the Atheist? Or vice versa?
Old 09-28-2005, 09:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Anybody else surprised by the results so far - about 80% for the Atheist. Did any Theists vote for the Atheist? Or vice versa?

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably a safe be that the results here are directly proportional to the makeup of the population of this forum.
Old 09-28-2005, 09:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably a safe be that the results here are directly proportional to the makeup of the population of this forum.

[/ QUOTE ]

Which brings me back to a point I made a while ago - there seem to be more non-theists on poker forums (even Negreanu's Full Contact) than any other forums I have been on. Now, I haven't visited a lot of scientific forums so it is probably true there as well. Is this because poker players tend to be very logical and mathematically inclined?
Old 09-28-2005, 09:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[Is this because poker players tend to be very logical and mathematically inclined?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's because we are all a bunch of miscreants. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 09-28-2005, 09:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It's because we are all a bunch of miscreants. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Bingo!